Singles Looking for Friends & Wanting to Meet. — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Singles Looking for Friends & Wanting to Meet.

Roddy
Roddy Community member Posts: 445 Pioneering
I'm sure that there are many of you that would like to make new friends in your local area. Other's may be seeking a relationship to develop perhaps, or just another person to share hobbies & interests or an occasional time out subject to your disability issues.

It is twice as difficult for a disabled person to find a like-minded soul, and yet for all we know there may be that person living quite close to us with same desires or feelings of loneliness. 

Surely, the first thing to do is to be brave and to reach out as best that you are able. Adding a few words on here would be a good move because others will follow whilst others may respond and friendships could develop.

You haven't got to write a novel to begin. Just a brief introduction about yourself, your age and the kind of person you would like to get to know for example. Your general area is all that is needed so that others can decide if a friendship is plausible or feasible. You may wish to add more or gradually reveal more about yourself and of course to ask questions and answer any person that posts...

I'm looking for such a person myself and as soon as I have thought about what I'd like to post, then I will. I hope that 'YOU' will do the same as it may put an end to being without friends & feeling lonely, and bring some joy into our lives... 

Come on You singles!  Whatever your age, sex, illness or disability make Your first move and POST!   

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    A fantastic idea I feel just the same maybe they can set up a section for people to post 
  • Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Roddy this is a lovely idea, however we are not a dating site and sharing personal information such as where we live is against the community guidelines
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    I have asked for the Scope team to respond
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Roddy
    For the safety of all our members we ask that members don't share personal information not suitable for public viewing like address, email or phone number that could identify a person.

Though the community is a place for people to connect and support one another, we can't support people meeting or messaging away from the public community as we have no control over the safety of these connections.

You might like to look through the Community Guidelines here.
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • Roddy
    @Sam_Scope Hi, I was not implying or intending that ANYBODY should reveal their personal details. Just the area that they live. 
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    We all really hope that members here can become friends and enjoy eachothers company, we also just need to make it clear that we have no way of ensuring safety if people choose to share contact information or choose to meet and that we will remove anything posted publicly that could identify a person. 

Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • Roddy
    Sam_Scope said:
    We all really hope that members here can become friends and enjoy eachothers company, we also just need to make it clear that we have no way of ensuring safety if people choose to share contact information or choose to meet and that we will remove anything posted publicly that could identify a person. 

OK... I understand. Thank You
  • gaz1960
    gaz1960 Community member Posts: 292 Pioneering
    Great response from the moderators for clarification of the rules on safety on the site and for all members. A tough job to do. And much appreciated by all. 

Just a query and a question on what's been posted and what the rules cover and maybe a solution for a lot of people who are in the same predicament and looking for friendship and just someone to talk to but unable to find it? 

Would "area" ie; County or City or Town be within the rules of where people are looking for friends from rather than any exact or specific location that could possibly identify someone? 

Can fully understand the need for safety and security.  

Geographicaly, personally, self help or specific groups for certain medical ailments, are 20 plus miles away and meet at times I'm unable to go to. There doesn't seem to be any way around the "trying to find friends locally " with the same medical ailments. 

• Roddy
    gaz1960 said:
    Great response from the moderators for clarification of the rules on safety on the site and for all members. A tough job to do. And much appreciated by all. 

Just a query and a question on what's been posted and what the rules cover and maybe a solution for a lot of people who are in the same predicament and looking for friendship and just someone to talk to but unable to find it? 

Would "area" ie; County or City or Town be within the rules of where people are looking for friends from rather than any exact or specific location that could possibly identify someone? 

Can fully understand the need for safety and security.  

Geographicaly, personally, self help or specific groups for certain medical ailments, are 20 plus miles away and meet at times I'm unable to go to. There doesn't seem to be any way around the "trying to find friends locally " with the same medical ailments. 

I suppose that the same problems could arise, as sooner or later how would people exchange private emails/mobiles etc., and safely so. Such details would be seen by all, and I strongly suspect that 'if' anything went wrong, then Scope would receive some of the blame... There's no easy solution, but it's a shame.

A closed group on Facebook, could be a way forward perhaps, but again who would moderate it? I've joined several groups on Facebook, and although they are not meeting groups, not once have I been disallowed to join, and nobody knows who I could be. 

Online sites do bring people together such as how this one does, but not physically and that is a huge difference for any site owner to take on board and to operate. 

• gaz1960
    Safety and security are paramount.  
  • Roddy
    edited March 2019
    gaz1960 said:
    Safety and security are paramount.  
    I totally agree. It is unfortunate that the first time anybody comes face to face via an online site, it can cause a few problems perhaps. However, there are many out there that do meet without any problems at all, and they are by far the majority. It's trying to find a safe balance...

One way perhaps, would be a if a group of people all met together at an arranged event at a safe place. within their own local community. A local library for example could be a good venue, but only of course if it is accessible for each.
  • bobford1234
    bobford1234 Community member Posts: 8 Listener
    I live in the Exmouth Devon 40 years of age looking for friends My interests are poetry, travel, artistic colouring, food singing music and history. Am i allowed to post this please Rob Jennings
  • bobford1234
    bobford1234 Community member Posts: 8 Listener
    I am ideally looking for a friendly female as well to spend time with 
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Hi @bobford1234, you're more than welcome to try and make friends on the community, but you should be aware that we're not a dating site. However, we'd be more than happy to direct you to some great disabled dating sites.
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Garza
    Garza Community member Posts: 149 Pioneering
    Hi @bobford1234, you're more than welcome to try and make friends on the community, but you should be aware that we're not a dating site. However, we'd be more than happy to direct you to some great disabled dating sites.
    its a shame that in the 21st century there is still a need for "disability dating sites", I realise it is a utopian view but wouldn't it be lovely if all sites were inclusive, be they virtual or bricks and mortar

On a personal note I have had mixed success on both mainstream and disabled dating sites

• Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Garza said:
    its a shame that in the 21st century there is still a need for "disability dating sites", I realise it is a utopian view but wouldn't it be lovely if all sites were inclusive, be they virtual or bricks and mortar

Very true Garza. I wouldn't dismiss the view as utopian though. We'll get there one day!  :)
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • gaz1960
    I've been on dating sites, and over 50s sites for years! And still no met anyone! And I'm not even officially classed as disabled yet! Once you you are over a certain age,you are invisible! 
  • newborn
    newborn Community member Posts: 832 Pioneering
    Who said  that? (!)
  • Roddy
    gaz1960 said:
    I've been on dating sites, and over 50s sites for years! And still no met anyone! And I'm not even officially classed as disabled yet! Once you you are over a certain age,you are invisible! 
    Finding a date online is futile. Many of the so-called 'singles' are fakes and the chances of finding somebody suitable within your location is like finding a needle in a haystack. It's not nice being lonely, but those sites can make you feel worse and/or lead to disappointment after disappointment and false hopes IMO.  

Brightness