How assessment s have left me. — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

How assessment s have left me.

VOB
VOB Community member Posts: 45 Pioneering
I just wanted to write here how my recent assessments have left me feeling.
I live on my own don't have anyone to speak to and my nearest family live 67 miles away. Don't want sympathy for that as it's my own doing, I just needed to be alone because no one understands how I feel and I don't want to be a burden to anyone.
I have told a bit of my story before about fighting for over 25 years with depression. How I've always worked and had to go to part time 20 hours in July this year because of foot problems.
After applying For PIP a couple of months ago and being given zero points I am left feeling worse than I have in a long time. The assessment basically said because I work I have no cognitive issues I have confidence and motivation.
I can't fight this because I don't have the mental capacity to do it. I'm tired all the time and feel at an all time low. I can't stop sighing. To be made out a lier by someone who assessed me for an hour is soul destroying. One of my triggers is lieing so to be made out to be a lier for me is attrocous. I could have lied and laid it on to the assessor buy I didn't I just told her the facts and yet that didn't appear to be enough as she distorted the truth. I feel sick at the thought that I am going through hell to go to work each day stood in the cold and rain waiting for the bus that comes whenever it feels like. On Sunday the bus came early so I missed it I went into panick mode because the bus is every two hours my anxiety was through the roof ( but it's ok because the assessor sayes I'm good.) I have never took a taxi in years so I googled taxi firms and luckily I managed to get one. It cost me £10.00 I didn't really have but it solved my issue. This anxiety is all before I start work yet I'm told I work so it shows I'm good.
I actually had a car until I had to cut my hours due to my foot problems then I had to voulantry return it because I couldn't meet the payments any more. That's sad at 61 years old.
I can't get my head round the fact that I'm being punished for working when I have a disability. How am I supposed to live without doing this. I'm sorry it's just so hard for me to understand.
This whole assessment process has just assabated my mental health because now I'm feeling Angy and bitter and like no one gives a flying one. Life is seriously ****.

Comments

• EmmaB
    EmmaB Community member Posts: 263 Pioneering
    Hi @VOB
    I'm really sorry to hear that the pip assessment process has left you feeling angry and disheartened. It is a very stressful process.
    Disabled people who work shouldn't be penalised for doing so and indeed disabled people who work do  get pip...
    The thing about pip is that you need to show how the descriptors fit your situation, if you can also provide medical evidence of your problem and the impact it has that gives further weight to your claim...
    So if you have a problem with your foot/feet what does that impact on in terms of the pip activities? Do you need to sit to cook, wash and dress? Do you struggle with any of the other activities?
    Getting pip is less about the condition/s you have per se and more about how they impact on you.
    You might have missed the deadline for a mandatory reconsideration but if you feel that you should have got some points you can re-apply and please consider taking your claim further, many people are successful at tribunal stage for example.
    I hope you can continue to work because working is more likely to have a positive impact on your mental health than being at home all day.
    Have you spoken to your workplace about reasonable adjustments and/or access to work? 
    I hope this helps and wish you well.
    Emma
  • VOB
    Thank you Emma TBH I didn't know anything about the PIP process I don't know any one who is on it who could have informed me. I just went into it green. I also had a UC assessment last week and I will probably get the same result from that. The woman who did that assessment was actually nicer than the first one.
    After that result I suppose I just have to carry on living on the breadline but being bitter at the world. 

• EmmaB
    Hi @VOB
    It's no mean feat trying to navigate the pip process alone, some people go along and get help from their local CAB or disability organisation but it's fair to say that these organisations are often overstretched. However, there is a lot of guidance on applying online too which you might want to look at.
    It could be that the current time you just don't quite meet the threshold which means you don't get enough points to get the benefit. Of course health conditions can change and though that's not to say you won't get it in the future...
    I hope you have a supportive employer and have got things set up to alleviate your foot problems at work at least?
    I'm sorry you are having to sort all this alone but you sound like you are trying to explore your options and then at least you'll know where you stand so to speak.
    All the best.
    Emma

• pollyanna1052
    pollyanna1052 Community member Posts: 2,032 Disability Gamechanger
    I feel for you..not pity but empathy.
    xxx
  • VOB
    Thankyou Emma. No there is no support from my manager. I am a liability as I have mental health Issues and foot problems. After I had the ultrasound guided injections in the insides of my feet I thought I would be bouncing around like a spring lamb. Unfortunately the injections didn't work. My manager knew my life was going to change if I didn't work full time as we discussed this at length but she wasn't interested. She gave me a stool which is impossible to use for the type of job I do. I work as a customer assistant so am on my feet constantly. You Can't do my job sat down. I could have been transferred to another area which would have been a sit down position but this wasn't considered. I'm just awaiting electric shock therapy and will have to hope that when I have it it works.
  • EmmaB
    It's disappointing to hear your manager isn't being very helpful. Could you meet with HR? 
    When you say electric shock therapy do you mean ECT for depression?  If so I presume you've exhausted all other avenues including counselling? 

• VOB
    Hi Emma, yes it sounds like that but it's not. It's in the feet I have to have 6 session one a week at the hospital. I'm just waiting for my appointment to come through. I'm under Podietry at the moment if this doesn't work then we will be referred to orthopedics.?
  • EmmaB
    Hi @VOB
    Thank goodness for that! Never heard of it on the feet, fingers crossed that gives you some relief then. Sounds like it's all in hand and you have a plan A and B in place which is a positive start. Hopefully at the end of all that you'll have no need for PIP!
    Best wishes.
    Emma
  • VOB
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @VOB - I'm very sorry to read about what you've gone through & your current situation. Rather than re-applying for PIP, which would possibly give the same outcome if you don't have the information that might help you, I would like to send you some links so you can make an informed decision.
    You also need to try & forget about the assessment, please, & see if you may consider looking forward instead.
    You can still ask for a Mandatory Reconsideration for up to 13 months from the date on your decision letter, if you have a reason for this. Please see this link from Scope's online advice:https://www.scope.org.uk/advice-and-support/challenging-PIP-or-other-benefits-decisions/
    You need to stand back & be objective, & even if you have difficulty with any of the 'descriptors'  2 or 3 days a week, that would not be sufficient to award you points as it has to be over 50% of the time. If you think you would be awarded 8+ points for either the daily living or mobility component, this would give you an award.
    If you decide to go for a Mandatory Reconsideration, do this in writing, ensuring your National Insurance number is at the top on each page. You would need to better explain where you feel you should have been awarded points & give examples for each.
    This would all need to be about how you were at the time of the assessment as far as these descriptors go. If you have any medical information that is relevant to how your disability affects you, then this could be sent in with your Mandatory Reconsideration if this wasn't provided earlier. So letters from Consultants, your mental health team, etc. which rather than 'just' mentioning any diagnosis, show how this affects your function.
    Unfortunately only about 15% are successful with a Mandatory Reconsideration, but it's a stage that needs to be gone through for most before a Tribunal, where the success rate is much higher.
    It's a lot to look at, but I hope you may. Just look at a bit at a time perhaps. If you have any questions, please say. Others know far more about PIP than I, & will help. My best wishes.

• VOB
    Thankyou Chiariads for the information. I have just arrived at work but I will definitely take a look at all that information this evening.
    Thankyou so much.
    Virginia
  • paffuto10
    paffuto10 Community member Posts: 388 Pioneering
    Really sorry to hear about your experience with PIP @VOB

This maybe doesn't help but I just wanted to let you know that you're not on your own. 
    Lots of people in this community have had their conditions made worse by the process, myself included. 

Good information there @chiarieds :) about being able to go for MR up to 13 months after decision, if you have a reason. 

I will also tag our friend @thespiceman who has helpful advice for mental ill-health. 

Hope you managed at work today VOB.
    Wishing you well and sending you strength. 
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    edited November 2019
    Hello @VOB   Pleased to meet you.
    Thank you my friend @paffuto10 for mentioning me.
    I am one of the team of community champions.  We help members of  our community offer support, compassion and empathy.
    I myself have mental health issues, a wealth of knowledge, experience and have also a disability. Had an addiction history be able to advise on any of that, regarding mental health. Including nutritional and food  knowledge, qualifications.
    Been clean twelve years, please if I can suggest the following links.
    These are mental health charities offer floating support or outreach workers. Help, guidance and advice on a number of issues including benefits. Including attending assessments, form filling in and intervention speaking on behalf of any clientele .
    Looking at well being and health. Please do take clientele with additional problem disabilities as well mental health issues related.
    https://www.richmondfellowship.org.uk.
    https://www.mind.org.uk.
    https://rethink.org.
    Last is an advocate charity. Helps you with medical professionals and NHS mental health services intervene speak on your behalf.
    Richmond Fellowship have additional employer advisors sign post to them, useful. Looking at supporting you in employment.  They do help and are good with benefits problems.
    Might not be in all areas sorry to tell you.
    Please contact me if I can help with anything further,  happy to be helping, supportive.
    Please take care keep safe and warm.  
    Pleasure to meet you.
    @thespiceman

Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes

Brightness