Refused PIP — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Refused PIP

Tra7cy
Tra7cy Community member Posts: 33 Connected
Today I got the letter refusing PIP. I'm devastated. I've been on DLA for over 13 years (with an indefinitely)
Their reason was I failed to attend the assessment, I didn't even know I had one! I'm unable to talk over the phone cos I get flummoxed, if anyone could give me some advise please much appreciated. Delicate hugs to all xx

Comments

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,519 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi on Monday do you have a friend or relative who can phone them for you? Did you fill in the forms and not receive an appointment for the assessment?
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• TheRebel
    TheRebel Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Been there, done that, got the tee shirt. You're on the way to tribunal, sorry  :|
  • Tra7cy
    Woodbine yes my friend filled the form in, I can't hold a pen cos of RA. Then I got a letter today saying I missed assessment but knew nowt about it. I've been through 2 tribunals for DLA and MESA ready thanx TheRebel lol. It's just my anxiety levels are through the roof and that's when I start hurting myself. I need a cuddle! Delicate hugs to all x
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,333 Disability Gamechanger
    edited November 2019
    HI,

You will need to ring DWP to at least go through security and then pass the phone onto someone to continue for you. You say you missed the assessment, are you sure you didn't receive a letter or text message about the appointment? If a letter was sent it would have come straight from the health assessment providers in a white envelope. If you put a mobile number down on the form they usually text you a reminder.

As your DLA has now stopped you'll need to request the Mandatory Reconsideration for the PIP decision. This should be in writing and you need to concentrate on the reasons why you didn't attend the assessment.

If that MR decision fails then it's Tribunal but it will be because you failed to attend the assessment. It maybe better to start another claim rather than go through the MR/Tribunal process but i'd advise you to get some expert face to face advice for this.

Do you claim any other benefits? If you do then your DLA ending could affect them too. If someone was claiming carers allowance for looking after you then this will also stop.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Misscleo
    Misscleo Community member Posts: 647 Pioneering
    Where would she get face to face good advice??
  • poppy123456
    Misscleo said:
    Where would she get face to face good advice??
    Start by looking here https://advicelocal.uk/

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Tra7cy
    Thank you all! Very much! For your advise, so I ring Pip straight away then go to advisors?, when I get my head straight ( I'm still in a bit of a shock fog), thank you all again, delicate hugs to all x
  • poppy123456
    Yes you'll need to ring them to tell them that you didn't receive the appointment letter, if you're 100% sure you didn't receive it. They are not brown envelopes, they are white.

If you decide to request the MR it will need to be for the reasons why you didn't attend the assessment and not anything else. Do be aware that MR decisions can take 2-10 weeks but then you have Christmas coming up, which means more backlogs.

Use the link above to see what's available in your area for face to face advice.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.