Has anyone started their Christmas shopping yet! — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Has anyone started their Christmas shopping yet!

Tammyjane33
Tammyjane33 Community member Posts: 765 Pioneering
I haven't yet 

Comments

• Tammyjane33
    I haven't yet 
  • April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    I have only bought Christmas cards, that is it! 
  • Tammyjane33
    @April2018mom I'm torn between buying things or just not bothering as I have unkind family members (this is me polite and some friends) that have treated me absolutely vile and have not been there for me in my desperate time of need, but now Christmas is coming and birthdays it seems people expect me to be nice (and forgive them and not confront them like I always do) and go to them at Christmas and want presents. I'd usually be the bigger person but the way I've been treated this year I'd rather stay at-home with the cat ?sorry for the essay lol 
  • Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Sorry to hear how you've been treated @Tammyjane33 I know how you're feeling. My advice would be to stay at home with your cat and treat yourself and your cat to a few toys :)

I tried to start Christmas shopping a couple of weeks ago but ended up buying more for myself then those intended Haha! Going back to buy presents this week, and maybe a few more for myself ?
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • pollyanna1052
    pollyanna1052 Community member Posts: 2,032 Disability Gamechanger
    yep! did it all in one go last month. made a few as well. cards going in post tomorrow. Sorted
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    I've done all mine some during weekend away but majority online. Just plucking up the energy to start wrapping 
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,519 Disability Gamechanger
    All done mostly wrapped and some already given out, all xmas cards written waiting to be delivered/posted.
    We always start xmas shopping in the January sales e.g this year we got 60 decent charity cards reduced from £30 to £15 and lots of bits of toiletries/make up from granddaughter in boots 70% off sale, we have been buying bits and pieces for grandson all year, we are now well into buying food stuff in so we don't have a mad dash round on xmas eve.
    I sound very smug do I not? the truth is that its down to my wife left up to me Id be panicking like most people this month !
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• VOB
    VOB Community member Posts: 45 Pioneering
    I've bought my presents just got to wrap them, I hate wrapping presents. Going to write my cards Tuesday on my day off. I really can't be bothered putting my tree up. It's to much like hard work. I'm quite happy with my scented candles.
    Got a lot of my food shopping just need fresh meat fruit and vegetables nearer the time. ?
  • April2018mom
    I need to get toys and crackers tomorrow too! 
  • April2018mom
    Do what makes you happy @Tammyjane33
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,330 Disability Gamechanger
    I started late this year due to moving house. I'm pleasantly surprised that i've almost finished. Thankfully, i only by for my 3 adult children, my daughters partner, his mother and my cat but i spoil my children and always end up buying far too much.

I've only wrapped my youngest daughters larger presents because i have no where to keep them other than the top of my wardrobe, so i wrapped then so she can't see them. I wrap closer to Christmas otherwise i'd forget what i bought and if i wrote it down, i'd forget where i put it lol. When i do wrap, i do a little each day, which make it easier, i hate wrapping.

I also bought myself a an early Christmas present a couple of days ago, a bottle of perfume in the Black Friday sale, i rarely treat myself to anything.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • VOB
    VOB Community member Posts: 45 Pioneering
    I'm glad you treated yourself, it's got to be done at Christmas hasn't It.
    I always treat myself too. I like to get everyone's presents out of the way and then the last week before Christmas I buy myself some stuff. Always buy a couple of nice thick jumpers and an electrical gadget i.e.  a hairdryer, curling brush or whatever I need at the time.?
  • Tammyjane33
    Thankyou @Ami2301 thankyou @April2018mom I ❤️thankyou for your kind words ?I appreciate it 
  • Geoark
    Geoark Community member Posts: 1,463 Disability Gamechanger
    All present shopping done, most of the food stuff done, just a few fresh food items to get just prior to Christmas.

My daughter bought a new Christmas tree this year, in pride colours. Decorated with a few traditional baubles, a unicorn, couple of lamas and small string of LED lights. Looks awesome if a little different.

@Tammyjane33 when our daughter was little we found family to be draining and took the decision years ago to concentrate on our own family and create our own traditions. But spending time together doing our own thing has worked well for us, if not exactly traditional thanks to my daughter. One year it was playing Card Against Humanity, another was spent seeing who could wipe out most of life on earth using viruses, not your traditional card or board games. 

As an individual I stood alone.
    As a member of a group I did things.
    As part of a community I helped to create change!

• Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Geoark said:

@Tammyjane33 when our daughter was little we found family to be draining and took the decision years ago to concentrate on our own family and create our own traditions. But spending time together doing our own thing has worked well for us, if not exactly traditional thanks to my daughter. One year it was playing Card Against Humanity, another was spent seeing who could wipe out most of life on earth using viruses, not your traditional card or board games. 

We've taken out all the naughty cards from Cards Against Humanity (which doesn't leave too many I'll admit!) for the occasional game with my eldest. Although she's getting to that age where she's finding ways to make innocent things sound just a tad inappropriate, which defeats the purpose anyway. I'd love to find a version of the game that's more geared for her age group.

You'll have to tell me the name of the virus game. Wiping out life on earth sounds like something my kids would probably enjoy, recreationally.  ;)
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Geoark
    Geoark Community member Posts: 1,463 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Adrian_Scope had a quick word with my daughter and though not sure how old your daughter is it seems unlikely. To be fair my daughter had to explain some of the terms to me and I'm pretty sure some of them had me blushing and some definitely cringing. She did mention Cards against Disney, but admitted that it is no better. She did eventually mention that Apples to Apples is a similar game but more suitable for children. I did check it out online before adding it as a recommendation, and it does come with expansion packs.

The board game is called Plague Inc The Board Game.

To be fair these are games my daughter introduced me to when she got back from University.

As an individual I stood alone.
    As a member of a group I did things.
    As part of a community I helped to create change!

• heydarling
    heydarling Community member Posts: 5 Listener
    I did my Christmas food shop today ready to be delivered by ASDA :)
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
  • mrbuttons
    mrbuttons Community member Posts: 221 Pioneering
    Since im not doing christmas this year but have friends who are, i have invited them to christmas lunch next week . Roast turkey with all the trimmings and drinks galore should be fun
    .ill be shopping tomorrow / later today. Might get a few bits n bobs for myself too. Its a relief to have left it all behind because ive never liked christmas but felt obligated to stick a smile on and grin and bear it.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,330 Disability Gamechanger
    Yes, done all mine, just waiting for delivery of my daughters last few things, then all i need to do is wrap them :/ I hate wrapping them, so will do a little at a time. Spent far too much, as always. All i need to do now is my food shopping.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness