Been told two different things by PIP and am very confused - please help! — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Been told two different things by PIP and am very confused - please help!

aliceinthelane
aliceinthelane Community member Posts: 6 Listener
edited December 2019 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi :) 

I hope you’re all feeling ok as can be today. 

I’m a bit stuck. I had PIP higher rate until February of this year, when I was suddenly taken off all PIP. At the time I was too depressed and unwell to fight it, so I didn’t appeal and just let myself get into debt. Finally the lady at ESA told me I deserved the money and to appeal. I did so, and won my appeal yesterday (they awarded it after mandatory reconsideration, but before actually having to go to appeal court) 

OR SO I THOUGHT :/ 

Even though i received a letter saying I was awarded pip yesterday, today I recieved a text and email saying I needed to go along to the appeal. 

I really don’t want to call them as it makes me so anxious, so I wondered if anyone else had had rhis experience? I’m hoping the text is an error and they haven’t updated their systems. 

Thank you, love alice x 

Comments

• aliceinthelane
    Hi :) 

I am a bit confused and wondered if the kind community here could help.

i was on higher rate pip until February of this year, When I was suddenly taken off ALL pip. This confused and upset me, and I didn’t feel capable of appealing. Finally an ESA lady persuaded me to appeal. So, in September (so late!) I finally appealed. 

Yesterday I WON MY APPEAL! They said that they looked at the evidence again and decided to stop it before it got to appeal stage (but after mandatory reconsideration) as they thought the original decision was incorrect. 

which was fab. But then today I received a text and email asking me to go along to a hearing and talking about my appeal continuing. 

I’m quiet confused and hope the texts and emails were an error? It seems more likely that they were the error, not the letter? 

I just wondered if anyone had had this happen to them, or any advice? I would really rather not call PIP if I can avoid it. 

Thank you so much, alice  Xxxx 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,333 Disability Gamechanger
    HI,

Who did you receive the letter from? Who was the text from?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • aliceinthelane
    hi poppy :) 

thank you for your reply. The letter was from the dept of work and pensions, and the text and email were from courts and tribunal: I don’t know who is correct. 

• poppy123456
    I can only guess but DWP may not have told HMCTS about the decision letter but i'd advise you to ring DWP first to ask if the letter you received is correct. Once you've done that, if you have been awarded then contact HMCTS and tell them. Unfortunately, this is the only way to know for sure what's happening.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • aliceinthelane
    Yes, I think you’re correct. Thank you very much 
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome to the community @aliceinthelane. :)
    I hope you manage to get to the bottom of this soon and please do let us know how you get on.
    Scope

• Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Hi @aliceinthelane. Were you able to find out any more information on Friday? Fingers crossed you won't need to go to tribunal. 
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • aliceinthelane
    Hi Adrian and Chloe 

I couldn’t bear to call them (it’s such a lottery as to whether you get a kindly advisor or not) but luckily the money came into my account on Friday. I haven’t heard anything else so I’m really hopeful no tribunal. 

Thank you so much for checking :):smiley:
  • poppy123456
    DWP should have contacted HMCTS but to make sure they did then you need to contact HMCTS and cancel the Tribunal hearing because you've received an award from DWP. You can contact HMCTS by email.
  • aliceinthelane
    Thanks poppy, that’s a really good point: I will do so xxx 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.