Universal credit health assessment,,, SCARED — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Universal credit health assessment,,, SCARED

Joolz21
Joolz21 Community member Posts: 5 Listener
Hello everyone, I'm pretty new to the site but have posted before so enjoy reading all the posts as I can relate to a lot of them health wise, I suffer from depression/anxiety (been on meds for 25 years), have chronic pancreatitis/gastritis, IBS, suffer from excruciating cluster headaches, have bouts of sciatica, have a rare genetic disorder called alpha1 antitriptin deficiency and mortons neuroma in my left foot which has just been operated on nearly 3 weeks ago so safe to say I'm going slightly mad stuck in the house with a very unfashionable black shoe (if you can call it a shoe ?) which I have to wear for another 3 weeks and suffered sexual abuse as a child so my life hasnt/isn't easy at times and have suicidal thoughts on a daily occasion, but today is worse as I have to attend a medical (my 2nd one, 1st one was 2017) and I am terrified, does anyone have any advice if it's just similar to the 1st medical? Any response would be helpful and appreciated thanks. J

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,357 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

I'm a community champion here on scope and i advise people on the complex benefit system.

The work capability assessment you will be attending today is the same as the first one. You will be asked questions based on how your conditions affect your ability to do any type of work and this is what you'll be assessed on. The work capability assessment is about the work you can do, rather than the work you can't do.

Are you taking someone with you? Even though you will need to answer all those questions having someone with you will help anxiety.

I'm assuming you sent evidence to support your claim? They very rarely contact anyone for this, the onus is on you to make sure it's sent to support your claim.

After the assessment, wait a week then ring UC to ask for a copy of the assessment report to be sent to you (if you live in the UK) this will give you some idea what the decision is likely to be because they mostly go with the report. When you do receive it, if you need help to understand what's recommended then do post again and ask.

Do be aware also that you will be watched from the minute you arrive to the minute you leave.

Good luck.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Joolz21
    I'm not having a good day, my foot is still in a surgical boot and on crutches, my pancreatitis has flared up and in agony but think I'll phone my key worker at my psychiatrists as have a lot of support from them aswell, thank you, I'll be in touch to let you know how I get on
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,357 Disability Gamechanger
    I'm sorry to hear that. If you haven't canceled one appointment previously then you maybe able to cancel this one but i'm unsure of that because you're appointment is today. You will need to ring the number on the appointment letter.

If you've already canceled one appointment then unfortunately, you will need to attend this appointment otherwise you'll be found fit for work for failing to attend.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Joolz21
    I missed the last appointment as they never sent a letter out to me or if they did I certainly didn't recieve it so I will have to attend unfortunately, believe me if I was fit to work I would be there in a flash but due to my pain, medication I am just not fit or reliable to work as I don't ever have 2 days the same which at 47 is frustrating and upsetting and severely affects my mental health
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @Joolz21   Pleased to meet you. Sorry to hear your not good. Having to attend an assessment.

I am one of the team of community champions.

Please can I advise you need to speak to your key worker or any one supporting you, they should be helping and supporting you.

Even attending with you so it does help. Having some to speak up for you. Say how you are and coping. Just an idea did all the time keep my support team informed at all times anything. Quick text or email.

They are caring, responsible for your welfare so need to know how to help you to cope with your issues.

Simple things mental health coping methods, strategies or looking at courses, wellbeing. Discuss meds with one support worker. Appointment with Doctor the support worker present and also use RETHINK another time with the support worker present. Does help.

Then you can deal with issues best way you can, I know day to day.  Help them to help you after all they are a team you are part of that .

I would also look at these links. Used for my own mental health issues.

https://www.richmondfellowship.org.uk.
    https://www.mind.org.uk.
    https://www.rethink.org.

Might not be in all areas, you still should look a these if you even have help and support.

I had council team and one of the charities listed both worked together to help, advise and support me.

Please I hope my friend  @poppy123456 has given you some informative, useful information.

I would also discuss that with your key worker. They should have benefit knowledge and expertise and should be helping you with any of that.

If not consider the links I have added as most mental health charities have advisors and lots of signposting to relevant information, organisations with the community.

Please wish you the best and good luck, take care.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • pollyanna1052
    pollyanna1052 Community member Posts: 2,032 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi Joolz, oh love, you do have a lot to endure. Hope they are kind to you at the meeting. Take care x
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    edited December 2019
    Hi @Joolz21. It's completely understandable that you'd feel so uneasy with the medical assessment looming. How are you doing today? How did your assessment go?

Dealing with suicidal thoughts on a daily basis must be tough. Have you ever talked to anyone qualified and trained to help with them, such as a talking service like Samaritans (116 123) at all, or sought support from NAPAC?
    You sound like you've been through an awful lot over the years. I know you already have a psychologist and a key worker, but if there's some way we could offer you more support (whether that's through a social care referral or something else), you're always welcome to email our community inbox at community@scope.org.uk and, if you're willing to give us some more details, we can try to help.

If you ever feel like you're in immediate danger, please call 999 or go to your local hospital.
    Community Manager
    Scope

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.