Any exemptions from paying bedroom tax? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Any exemptions from paying bedroom tax?

Kay67
Kay67 Community member Posts: 8 Connected
Hi everyone,this is my first time on this wonderful helpful organisation/website
Am a disabled & Ill mother since 2014, am on the enhanced pip, standard mobility & on ESA support .
My Son & grandson went intof care because I could no longer cope on my own with them & with no support untill the very end which social services say it's come to late, I'd say better late than never, one of my adult daughters who still lives with me  & myself still see them both & I have to wait till both are teenagers before they can come back home! If I'm still alive.
Do I've a spare room a box room & I have a carer but she doesn't stay over any nights & do next February I got to start paying bedroom tax "Nightmare for most if not everyone!
I just had a stairlift put in through a O.T & a grant , & read that certain adaptions could exempt disabled persons from paying bedroom tax , I'm not so sure about that & doubt it very much ,but what would these type of adaptions be that would exempt any off us? I've been going over Google & not seen anything yet, does anyone else have a clue?
Apologies for the long message!

Comments

• Kay67
    Correction's So not do , predictive text a nightmare 
  • Tammyjane33
    Tammyjane33 Community member Posts: 765 Pioneering
    Hi @Kay67 welcome to the scope online community. It's nice to meet you.
    I'm Tammy one of the online volunteer community champions on the site to support people. I hope you enjoy the site and find it helpful and useful. I'm just going to read your post thoroughly and then I can build a picture of what's going on and try to support you the best way I can. Would that be ok with you?
    Hope to connect with you soon. 
    Tammy
  • Tammyjane33
    Tammyjane33 Community member Posts: 765 Pioneering
    @Kay67 don't apologise is absolutely fine, by you writing a long post and giving details then we can understand what's going on and try to support you.
    Unfortunately I'm not 100%sure about the things you've listed above but someone else may see the post or a can ask if anyone can advice or guild you in the right direction od someone that does have that knowledge. Sorry about that but I wouldn't want to give you the wrong details. Another member or community champion may read your post and be able to help.
    Take care and if I come across a person that k ows about this topic I will tag your user name so they can message you 
    Tammy 
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @Kay67 Pleased to meet you.
    Thank you for joining and sharing.
    I am one of the team of community champions.
    I am sure you will need to speak to one of our team.
    @poppy123456 just not sure about the rules on bedroom tax.
    Benefits are complex and confusing, tagged in the above lady whose expertise and knowledge is outstanding.
    Please can I also add you could speak to CAB your local office hopefully they can advise you as well.
    Please if I can help further or any of the team or community members  please get in touch.
    We are a supportive, compassionate community. Please ask any questions.
    Please take care.
    @thespiceman
    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,368 Disability Gamechanger
    edited November 2019
     @thespiceman,  thank you my dear friend for the tag and the very kind words!.

@Kay67 hello and welcome,

May i ask if you're renting privately or from social housing? Bedroom tax only applies to those that rent from social housing.

If you do rent from social housing then it's unlikely that you will be excluded from the bedroom tax for this reason. What i do advise you to do is to apply for a discretionary housing payment (DHP) this is only temporary but you can reapply again at a later date. See link https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/claiming-discretionary-housing-payments/claiming-discretionary-housing-payments

To claim this you'll need to contact your local council and ask them to send you a form. Once you receive it i'd advise you to get some help with filling it out because they aren't the easiest forms to fill in. The forms will ask you for a breakdown of everything you spend your money on because they will financially assess you.

May i also ask, do you live alone? if so, are you claiming the Severe disability premium in with your ESA? This is extra money if you live alone and no one claims carers allowance for looking after you and it's an extra £65.85 per week. If you don't know what this is then if you are claiming it then your weekly ESA will approximately £194 per week.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Kay67
    Hi there! I used to get the sevear dissability premium untill one of my adult daughters moved back home the following year after moving out in the middle off 2015! 
    I will look into the discretionary payments, Thank you for your advice 
    My 11 year old is in foster care to my dispair couldnt get help to have him at home due to my illnesses & disability but still have contact , he will if Im still around/alive when he's much older be able to come back home! 
    & now have a stairlift in so dont want to move after years living here & making it a lovely home! 
    Which is off course what most people want 
    Wishing you all well, will keep you updated!

• Kay67
    Sorry I for got to add that Iwe live in a housing association property! & didnt mention my grsndson as he was living with me because hes happy where he is, but could change his mind later, I say this becuase I mentiond him yesterday that he was with us my daughtsr & I but didnt mentjon him today! 

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,524 Disability Gamechanger
    Any bedrooms under 63 square feet aren't counted for the bedroom tax.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Kay67
    Evening woodbine
    Thank you for your responce,  housing association representative that I spoke to said it don't matter the size off the room,  if you can fit a bed in it it's still a bedroom, 
    I think that's so mean, they just want the money 
    Not happy about it atall ,perhaps we need an advocate those of us that are having this problem?
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Kay67, just wanted to check in to see how you were doing. :)
    Scope

• Kay67
    Afternoon everyone! Apologies for taking so long getting back in touch! 
    My mind has been like a storm lately & surely not alone!
    A bit off good news my older daughter is moving back home so wont need to worry about the bedroom tax for now, but I sure hope it gets scrapped soon for everyone else it effects,
    I hope your all ok!?

• Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,836 Scope online community team
    Hi @Kay67. That's good news! How old is your daughter? How are you getting on?
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,524 Disability Gamechanger
    Kay67 said:
    Evening woodbine
    Thank you for your responce,  housing association representative that I spoke to said it don't matter the size off the room,  if you can fit a bed in it it's still a bedroom, 
    I think that's so mean, they just want the money 
    Not happy about it atall ,perhaps we need an advocate those of us that are having this problem?
    I'm not sure he's right, but seems it doesnt matter now 
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Kay67
    Afternoon everyone! My eldest daughter is 32 not in work at the moment,got lots to sort out, so far so not bad with the getting on with each other! Thank you for asking
    Still early days, so fingers crossed
    I hope your all fine, I'm going to be reading on here & see if theres anything I can add that might help!

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.