Son moving DLA to PIP, no face to face? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Son moving DLA to PIP, no face to face?

Options
awalla00
awalla00 Community member Posts: 9 Listener
Hello,

My son is 16 and moving from DLA to PIP. I am his appointee. When I did his form sent in all the hospital letters, doctors letter we have etc, also things like plans from school, and wrote and attached a fairly long explanation for each question as to why I answered the way I did.

I recently had a call from someone who said they were “calling on behalf of the DWP” (so I thought ATOS or similar?) who then asked some questions. At the end of the conversation they said thank you for my time and they had enough info to process it that day and I’d hear from the DWP in 4-6 weeks.

Has anyone else had this experience and did it turn out ok? I had been very worried about taking my son to a face to face assessment as he struggles with communication and socially and emotionally anyway -  so that is a big relief if we don’t have to go to that but I’m also worried I might not have done well getting across how much help he needs on the phone. They seemed to ask some of the same kinds of things I’d already talked about on the form. While I’m sure I was consistent (as I just talked about how life is for him on both) I don’t think I was able to be as thorough on the phone just speaking without a lot of preparation.

Has anyone else unexpectedly had a phone call instead of being invited for an assessment? Any experience anyone has had with a similar situation would be great to hear about! I’m just worrying now until we get a letter I guess.

many thanks! 

Comments

• pollyanna1052
    pollyanna1052 Community member Posts: 2,032 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi, I don't think you need to worry too much about the phonecall.
    Sounds to me like your son will be having a paper based assessment, instead of a f2f one.

These are quite rare, but do happen.so just wait for the decision letter and I look forward to reading all about it.
    xxxx
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @awalla00, it is rare not to have a face to face meeting, but it does happen. It will mean that the evidence you provided gives a very clear indication about whether your son meets the criteria.

I really hope it all works out in your favour and please do let us know how it goes. :)
    Scope

• awalla00
    awalla00 Community member Posts: 9 Listener
    Options
    Hi, I don't think you need to worry too much about the phonecall.
    Sounds to me like your son will be having a paper based assessment, instead of a f2f one.

These are quite rare, but do happen.so just wait for the decision letter and I look forward to reading all about it.
    xxxx
    Thank you for your reply. I was really surprised when they said he didn’t have to have a face to face assessment. I thought it was a definite thing. I was dreading it was going to happen around Christmas and add a lot of stress to that.

I will definitely update when we hear so others can see what happened too. I find reading other people’s experiences really helpful! 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.