The stress of inaccessible shopping - Page 2 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

The stress of inaccessible shopping

2»

Comments

• ash5896
    ash5896 Community member Posts: 141 Pioneering
    hdeakin said:

Hannah (28) has been disabled since an injury at the age of 14, which left her with Complex Regional Pain Syndrome and a range of secondary illnesses and complications. She’s a disability and lifestyle blogger and started her blog Hannah’s Hope (hannahdeakin.blogspot.com) in 2018. She’s passionate about making a difference, changing perceptions and promoting equality.

Shopping can be a stressful event, especially with a disability. What more can be done to make it a more pleasurable experience? 

In my experience shopping centres are the best, preferable to towns and villages. They are very accessible, on flat and smooth surfaces, with lifts to other floors, as well as having better facilities of disabled car parking spaces, accessible toilets and sometimes changing places and shop mobility centres. Towns and villages are not very accessible; there are so many shops that have steps. Some have portable ramps, but not many. I believe more needs to be done by the government to enforce the Equalities Act 2010, so that disabled people are given equal opportunities and access to able-bodied people. Currently, they still are at a huge disadvantage in shopping alone. 

Last year, I attempted to go into a branch of a multi-million pound coffee shop chain with a friend, only there was a step. My friend went in to enquire whether they had a ramp. They said that they didn't have one but could help lift me in! Although, this was very kind of the staff to offer and not their fault they didn't have access, there is no way they could lift me and my extremely heavy powerchair. Which together weigh over 200kg! My friend said that she wanted to say 'yes' to watch them try!

Once you have got past the hurdle of getting into a shop, the next issue can be if you find something you like and actually want to try it on! Do they have an accessible changing room? Often the answer is no, or yes but it is used for storage! This has left me feeling exposed as I am having to try something on, in a public area, or not being able to and so having to leave it. Sometimes, I end up buying the item or items in several sizes, to then try them on at home and then returning the sizes that don't fit. However, this is not always possible.

With some places it is a lack of knowledge or training. I have had situations with shop assistants where I have paid, then they give my mum/ PA the receipt, or I type in my PIN and request cash back and then they give my mum/ PA the cash back! If I’m capable of getting my card out, putting it in the machine and typing my PIN in, then I think I am capable of taking the cash or receipt! Moreover, if people are not sure they just need to ask! 

More needs to be done in staff training so that places are more accommodating. Purple Tuesday (12th November this year!) is a new campaign, calling for organisations to do more to make shopping more accessible and improving the customer experience for disabled people. Hopefully, as more shops come on board it will help educate more people, changing things for the better. Not just one day a year, but in general. 

Things are progressing in the right direction, with the introduction of quiet hours in some supermarkets, for people with Autism and other disabilities.

For some, the Internet and developments in technology has been a lifeline. Internet shopping enables people to order groceries and have them delivered to their door. If people can't get out or can't carry heavy items, this can be paramount. Furthermore, on top of food it allows individuals to shop and choose their own clothes, as well as presents etc. When I was bed-bound it enabled me to choose my own clothes and items that I liked, allowing me to be an individual and develop my own personality, rather than having to have them chosen for me, by my mum. This was important to me.

Christmas is the worst time, and sales are not great — the crowds of people (who have even less time for others than usual) and aisles that are narrower than the rest of the year and are brimming with stock and bursting with people. I hate it. People knock into me, push and shove and I just can't move. I go down one aisle, then have to reverse up as I can't get out, I make a second attempt on another aisle and by the third time and driving four times the distance, I get out at the place I want to. People lean over me and on me, so focused on the rush and getting what they need for the festive season they forget the true meaning of Christmas and the values of Christianity. 

What would improve your shopping experience? How do you do your shopping? Do you brave sales and what would make the experience more manageable if you don’t?

Shopping is a nightmare. I tend to use my crutches more as it’s easier to navigate. The wholes thing can be a nightmare from start to finish. If I can get to park in a disabled bay would be great. If I do find a space then I feel like I have to justify myself as people stare. Even though you can clearly see I have a disability. 
    I did have an incident which ended up with me and my family being abused by an idiot who thought I wasn’t disabled until my wife took the wheelchair out of the boot. So if I can cross that hurdle and if I’m using crutches it’s the idiots that don’t look and accidentally knock into my crutches. I know it’s not done intentionally and can be annoying. 
    The queues are a nightmare in most places and it’s not easy for me to wait. It really does become hard so hence we use more online shopping than in person. If we do venture out we try and go early as to avoid busy times.
    i must admit I am impressed with Primark and they deserve recognition for this. A few months ago I was in the queue I only and a couple of pairs of socks. I was right toward the end of it and it was pretty long. A guy came over and he was a manager but I didn’t realise that at the time. He took me to the disabled desk and said in future and in any Primark store I can or any disabled person can just walk up to the desk and as soon as a cashier sees you, you will be served. 
    I think it’s a great idea and more shops could learn from this. If we are in Primark and the queue is very long I do just go over to the disabled desk. So we’ll done to Primark and I really appreciate that you allow disabled customers to do this. 
    Ash 
  • Gail Steinson
    Gail Steinson Community member Posts: 5 Connected
    I preference shopping in larger stores there more accessible I tend to avoid shopping in store at Christmas as there’s so much stock lying around it’s very hard to get round and sales are a complete no no.
  • shazzzyb
    shazzzyb Community member Posts: 4 Connected
    Hi Hannah, agree with all you said especially out of town shopping centres being more accessible. I too live with chronic pain but also chronic migraines which leaves me super sensitive to noise, sounds and lights. Last disastrous shopping attempt found me in a 3 storey shop on 3rd floor when lights started flickering. Immediately I started to feel sick an dizzy. Luckily I was near the pay desk and just clung on to it as the room tilted and I could not see the floor. I had a kind of mini seizure which left me exhausted and struggling to leave the store. At the time a member of staff asked was I okay, I couldn't even see her, told her I was very dizzy she just said 'oh 'and walked off leaving me  ! I could not move for fear of falling over.  Another shop struck off the list.
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @Gail Steinson   @shazzyb
    Pleased to meet you both. Please if I can suggest have you considering shopping on line.
    Lot easier to do. Deliveries are tailored for your needs.  Especially food shopping many plans all affordable.
    Habits of shopping going to stores simply too much for me.
    Sweating dry mouth, the nosy questions the asking why are you different to me.
    Not children adults, the car parking, the stress the anxious times.
    Going on line soon to do a Xmas shop book this early and then no need to worry.
    Saving money time energy and you know the cost as you see it on the website.
    Never go out o stores again. AMAZON and my parcels await.
    Delivery tomorrow, groceries into the kitchen helps me unload and no soggy wet shopping, no tired feet. No problems.
    Hope that helps.
    @thespiceman

Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • hdeakin
    hdeakin Scope Member Posts: 126 Pioneering
    Hi @April2018mom I am glad you managed to get out for a Chinese restaurant and your local pub is fairly accessible, it makes a big difference. Yes access able is good and they have an app too.
    I totally agree with you wheelchairs and grass don't mix!
  • hdeakin
    Hi @MarkGibbons1 I am sorry that you find shopping hard. I totally agree with you, you would not think we are in 2019 with the access around. My local town have just had a new shop unit built in the town which is not a level access entrance, there is a small step. Why? I say! They could have made it accessible. Some shops are good but a lot are not ?
  • hdeakin
    Hi @ash5896, I am sorry you have had some bad experiences with disabled parking. People really are too quick to judge. They have no idea of what someone goes through and their life. I have heard people suffering with invisible illnesses having bad experiences with people making nasty comments with disabled parking too etc. 
    Well done Primark. That is good, it will make a big difference to people especially if they can't stand for long and there is a long queue. Thanks for sharing this ?
  • hdeakin
    Hi @Gail Steinson I totally agree with you. Larger shops are better. I am sorry that you also find Christmas and sales shopping terrible. Do you use the internet for buying christmas presents or try and get them early?
  • ash5896
    ash5896 Community member Posts: 141 Pioneering
    hdeakin said:
    Hi @ash5896, I am sorry you have had some bad experiences with disabled parking. People really are too quick to judge. They have no idea of what someone goes through and their life. I have heard people suffering with invisible illnesses having bad experiences with people making nasty comments with disabled parking too etc. 
    Well done Primark. That is good, it will make a big difference to people especially if they can't stand for long and there is a long queue. Thanks for sharing this ?
    Hi 
    thank you for your reply
    what I wrote about Primark applies to all their stores so if anyone is shopping there I would urge you to use it as it’s not easy waiting especially if it causes you pain.

?
    Ash 
  • hdeakin
    Hi @shazzzyb That is awful. I am so sorry to hear of your experience. They could of at least got you a chair to sit on and a glass of water or something and definitely not just abandoned you. I hope you have a much better experience in the future.
  • April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    Thanks @hdeakin.  
    My son and I went to a bowling alley yesterday for a quick friendly game followed by lunch. We had a great time. 

I noticed that there was a disabled wheelchair friendly lift but it took a while to respond. But it was much better than nothing especially since he is a full time wheelchair user due to paraplegia of the lower body. It made it easier on me honestly. I did not have to carry him up and down the stairs. 
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    As ever, a really insightful post @hdeakin. Have you got all your Christmas shopping done yet?  ;)
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • hdeakin
    Thank you @Adrian_Scope
    Hehe! Not all of it unfortunately! So I am going to have to brave some of those narrow aisles and delightful shoppers!

Brightness