Advice please — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Advice please

curly60
curly60 Community member Posts: 6 Listener
edited December 2019 in PIP, DLA, and AA
I am a single parent with 3yr old twin boys 1 of whom is disabled.  
I currently get middle disability allowance for my son as he is unable to walk unaided and has to walk with a frame.    I also get carers allowance for Louie but this is then taken off me by Universal Credit.  This does not seem fair as I have to look after Louie night and day, as during the night, whilst in bed, he has to wear boots and bars as he was born with bilateral tallipes.  I am unable to go back to work because of the care Louie needs.  

I am living in a 2 bed flat on the second floor with no lift, all stairs.  I suffer with mental health and since having the boys suffer with severe back pain due to the epidural I had.  I have been on Dudley Council now for over 3 years, 
I am a band 2, yet struggle to get a property.

I wonder if some one could advice me please as i feel that no one listens to me.

Thanks.

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,328 Disability Gamechanger
    edited December 2019
    HI and welcome.

Carers allowance is always deducted £1 for £1 when claiming carers allowance and UC because they are overlapping benefits and carers allowance is classed as income. However you should also be receiving the carers element of £160.20 per month are you receiving this? You will of course be receiving the carers allowance paid separately.

As your son is also claiming Middle rate care then you should also be receiving the lower rate disabled child element which is £126.11 per month, are you also receiving this?

I would also advice you to refer yourself and your son for a needs assessment from your local council

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • curly60
    Hi poppy

yes I do get the money u mentioned but I’m aware I am now entitled to the mobility allowance as my son has now turned 3.  

• poppy123456
    He maybe entitled to the high rate mobility because he's 3 if he's virtually unable to walk yes but you'll need to ring DWP to apply for this and it will mean filling out more forms again. They will look at the whole award again and not just part of it. You won't be able to claim the low rate mobility until he's 5.

I'd advise you to get some face to face advice from an agency near you before you do this because you could lose everything he already has because it does happen. No one on an internet forum can tell you for certain whether he'll be awarded mobility.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • curly60
    I Don’t mind filling more forms out I just want to be sure my boy gets everything he is entitled to.  He has to walk with a walking frame he cannot walk without that.  
  • curly60
    Also it stays Louie can have the middle rate mobility at 3 years old 
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Hi @curly60. At 3 years old, the mobility component is only available as 'high rate', so unless they decide he is entitled to high rate mobility you won't be able to receive the mobility element of DLA until he is 5. 
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • curly60
    Hi I believe they will give him the “high rate” mobility as he cannot get about with out his walking frame, I just don’t want all my other benefits to stop whilst they sort it out.
  • poppy123456
    All you can do is ring DWP to apply and they will send you more DLA forms to fill in and return. They will of course look at the whole award again and not just part of it. His current DLA award will continue until a decision's been made. Including any other benefits you receive because of his DLA award.

Do be aware though that if the worst happens and he's refused then his DLA will stop which could affect any other benefits you're claiming.
  • curly60
    Hi

thank u.  I doubt very much they will stop his DLA as he cannot walk.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.