Changes since PIP assessment this morning — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Changes since PIP assessment this morning

MK70
MK70 Community member Posts: 5 Connected
Hi, I am new to this forum but wish I had found it before last night in preparation for my face-to-face assessment which was at 0830 this morning! During the assessment I was asked about my medication and when this was last changed. I mentioned that it was no longer effective and I was awaiting a review by my GP - I have just come off the phone to my GP and been prescribed amitriptyline in addition to the nifedipine I already take.  Is it worth contacting the general PIP number to advise?
Also, during the assessment I was asked if there were any adaptations at my workplace - I advised that they told me to use the disabled parking bay and have to provide additional heating if needed (my condition is affected by colder temperatures), but I didn't mention that my working hours had been changed following an Occ Health referral and I am also issued with long sleeved uniform (my workplace wear short sleeved uniform).  Again, is it worth me telling them that I forgot to mention this at the assessment?  I did send copies of my OH reports with the initial application.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• cristobal
    cristobal Community member Posts: 984 Disability Gamechanger
    @MK70 - I believe that subsequent changes to medication aren't something that you need to tell them about, only changes in you condition that affect your functional ability.
  • MK70
    Thank you for the quick reply cristobal
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,521 Disability Gamechanger
    PIP is not about a medical condition or medication its all about any care/mobility needs you have.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello just to make thing clear, pip is a benefit to help you cope manage your daily living activities and mobility issues. PIP is not awarded on a disability, diagnosis or the amount of medications you are prescribed, but on your ability to cope , manage the pip descriptors in a timely manner, repeatable and safely for most of your day.
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Hello @MK70 and welcome to the community. I hope the information above has been helpful, but please don't hesitate to let us know if you need anymore advice. :smile:
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • MK70
    Hi, I'm back to this forum to ask for advice. Following my face-to-face appointment back in 2019 I was refused PIP altogether.  The assessor made remarks like he watched me walk from the reception into the room without any problem etc, however my condition continues to worsen and it really is getting me down now so I am about to apply again for PIP and would be grateful for any advice.

I am going to be honest, which I was last time, but I obviously did not manage to portray how much my condition affects my life.  I have a rare condition called HLRCC but it is the cutaneous leiomyoma that are causing me so much pain.  Any change in temperature from warm to cold or stress triggers unbearable pain.  I have to sleep with an electric blanket on and at the moment with energy bills rising I am reluctant to put my heating on, but having the house any colder than around 21 degrees makes my life miserable.  I have not been outside for 3 days now other than to bring bins in and after I did that I was in tears waiting for my pain to stop again.  Even having a shower I have to make sure that the room is warm before I get undressed, then getting dried afterwards triggers pain again.  I would say in an average day I am in unbearable pain about once an hour and in tears several times a day.  

If I do go out I worry that anyone next to me will knock my right arm which is the one most affected with the skin lesions, therefore if I go anywhere my husband tries to stay on my right hand side.  If my arm gets knocked, the pain again is horrendous.  Others with this condition describe the pain as like having a knife ripped down your skin or rubbing the affected area down the corner of a brick wall - it is the worst stinging pain ever!

I was working in an admin role part-time for the NHS but we are due to move house soon and my husband has started a new job.  He used to drop me off right outside my workplace and pick me up again so I didn't have to stand or walk about outside.  I cannot work full-time as the medication I take makes me tired and I do not sleep well due to pain.

Can anyone give any advice for my PIP application?  I don't know if it makes any difference but I managed to get a blue badge earlier this year, does this help in any way towards a PIP claim?  Prior to me getting this I would regularly be in tears out in public when trying to walk anywhere but having to stop in shop doorways waiting for the pain to stop before walking again.

Would I be able to get any help towards my energy bills due to this condition, other than applying for PIP?  My husband works full-time and we do not claim any other benefits.  I really would appreciate any help or advice.  
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,359 Disability Gamechanger
    edited October 2022
    Reapply again using the same evidence you previously used could see another refusal. Was there any reason why you didn’t challenge the decision back then? 

When filling out the form you should include a couple of real world incidents of exactly what happened the last time you attempted each descriptor that applies to you. Adding detailed information such as where you were, what exactly happened, did anyone see it and what the consequences were. You should aim for at least half an A4 side of paper per descriptor that applies.

Your blue badge will not be classed as evidence for your PIP claim. I’d advise you to have a read of this https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/personal-independence-payment-assessment-guide-for-assessment-providers/pip-assessment-guide-part-2-the-assessment-criteria

For your energy you will receive £400 from the Government, which will be £66/67 per month from now until March. There’s no additional help because of your health conditions. 

You can use a benefits calculator to check entitlement to Universal Credit. You will need to put your partners and your details into the calculator because you will need to claim as a couple. 

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.