Tribunal Help — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Tribunal Help

DuffersMum
DuffersMum Community member Posts: 196 Pioneering
edited December 2019 in PIP, DLA, and AA
I’ve lodged my appeal online and have now received a letter saying it will be dealt with at a tribunal centre.

i have not sent anything in yet apart from what I filled in online...should I now be sending in evidence and copy of MR ETC? Or do I wait until I have received the written response from DWP? 

Thanks

Comments

• LP004
    LP004 Community member Posts: 25 Connected
    Yes, send in as much evidence as you can as soon as you can
  • nanook
    nanook Community member Posts: 6 Listener
    Did you send in hospital diagnosis letters,  a letter from your gp saying how your illness or disability affects you day to day, and ask any other people who have input if they can do the same? Are you able to get someone to go with you or an advocate to help on the day?
    I filled in my form using the benefits and work website guides which helped a lot
  • DuffersMum
    DuffersMum Community member Posts: 196 Pioneering
    Thank you, I’ll get things sorted and posted off.  
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,368 Disability Gamechanger
    Letters from a GP aren't the best evidence to send because they will very rarely know how your conditions affect you against the PIP descriptors. They will only know the basics such as diagnosis and medication and PIP isn't about a diagnosis.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Liz2012
    Liz2012 Community member Posts: 14 Connected
    @nanook what is the web site was it you used, only as my head is going round it what to do should I go for appeal, if not I will loose my way of getting out, might still loose everything or don’t appeal keep what I’ve got but don’t get out to hospital appointments. 
    Thanks Liz
  • poppy123456
    Liz2012 said:
    @nanook what is the web site was it you used, only as my head is going round it what to do should I go for appeal, if not I will loose my way of getting out, might still loose everything or don’t appeal keep what I’ve got but don’t get out to hospital appointments. 
    Thanks Liz

Benefits and work costs £19.95 to join for a year, unfortunately, the guides available on there are not free.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • nanook
    My letters from my consultants list my various diagnosis and how my illnesses affect me, they are no longer allowed by the NHS to write supporting letters to help patients with benefits, so mine put my issues into the diagnosis letters to my gp and send me a copy. The letters are useful evidence, as are letters from physios, social workers, mental health services etc.
    The benefits and work website does charge you to join, they have a newsletter you can sign up for than usually gives you a voucher for money off membership, their guides give you help with descriptors and how to navigate the whole farcical system.
    For example if you need to use a "navigational aid" aka satnav while out, to avoid getting lost for example due to poor memory, mental distress, anxiety etc you automatically score enough points for the higher rate and a blue badge?

• nanook
    Liz2012 said:
    Thanks Liz

Benefits and work costs £19.95 to join for a year, unfortunately, the guides available on there are not free.

The guides may not be free, I've found people more than happy to share and explain how to use them tho
  • poppy123456
    @Username_removed absolutely fantastic information, thank you for that :) Merry Christmas to you and your family :) 
  • Cressida
    Cressida Community member Posts: 1,014 Pioneering
    @Username_removed thank you that was a very interesting read. The Disability Gamechangers (and many others) on this site are so knowledgeable and helpful. Thank you and Happy Christmas everyone. 

• cristobal
    cristobal Community member Posts: 984 Disability Gamechanger
    @Username_removed - GPs writing 'supporting' letters isn't part of their NHS contract so they can choose whether they do it, or not, on a private basis and charge a fee.

I fully agree with your comment about consultants "being ignored" which seems to be a common misunderstanding.

Doctors write reports about medical stuff because that's what they're trained to do - diagnose and treat illnesses, not help with benefits applications.

I read through about about 200 pages of medical reports etc before concluding that only 4 were relevant to my PIP application - and these were all written by an Occupational Health consultant who I saw before being medically retired from my job.He made no mention of diagnosis, or symptoms but just commented on what I could do and what I couldn't.

• Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,836 Scope online community team
    Hi @Username_removed. Thanks for all your comments here.
    To echo @Cressida and @poppy123456, they've made for some interesting reading.
    I'm sorry you're not keen on the title Disability Game Changer ⁠— these titles are given automatically, based on the number of posts a member has made, rather than it being something we assign to particular members. With regards to editing posts ⁠— we now leave a note within a post that's been edited for its content to make this clear, although it has been quite a while since we edited any of your posts.
    Community Manager
    Scope

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.