What next ? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

What next ?

Options
neverendingpain
neverendingpain Community member Posts: 3 Listener
I’ve had 3 back surgeries the last one was December 2018, 3 lots of injections the last one 2 weeks ago all because of a work place injury! 
Nothing has helped with the chronic back pain and nerve pain that takes my breath away and leaves me crying most days. 
I’ve been claiming ESA for the past 3 years and every year I have to go for an assessment and every time they say I’m fit enough for work and stop my benefits. I have had to ask for a mandatory reconsideration every time . 
Luckily they change their minds and reinstate my benefit.

I’ve been told that I will have to go for another ESA assessment in April next year and the worry is so debilitating that I’m so stressed and anxious that they’re going to stop my benefit again and then we’re going to struggle again and again for money when there’s no chance I can get back to work any time soon
I would love to get back to work however this constant pain I’m in sometimes makes me feel that my family would be better if I wasn’t around anymore.
does anyone know what I can say to convince these people that I need their help and not just to get me back into work but to help me live with this pain all the time .
do they ever stop asking the same questions?
 surely they should believe the GPs letters the consultants letters what I’m telling them instead of undermining everything every time
do I have to live the rest of my life fighting to get help?

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,200 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi and welcome,

With the work capability assessment you can be re-assessed anytime from 3 months. Even though you've been assessed every year for the past 3 years and you say your next one is April 2020, this still isn't guaranteed because the time they give you is just a guide, which is why WCA decision letter never state a timescale.

Most people are re-assessed regularly, there's very few people that are placed into the severe conditions group. I could be because the criteria for that group is very specific, i really don't know but i've only heard of a few people having life time awards for ESA where they are not re-assessed again in the future. See link for the criteria for this. https://www.disabilityrightsuk.org/news/2017/october/guidance-work-capability-assessment-reassessment-published

Do you know the reason why you were previously placed into the group that you're currently in? It will be worth knowing this because when you do receive the next forms then you can concentrate on that reason and make sure you fill the form out with as much information as possible about how your conditions affect you.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Welcome to the community @neverendingpain! I'm sorry to hear your pain has had an impact on working. If there is anything else we can do to help then please do let us know!
    Scope

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.