What AT (Assistive Technology) do you use for studies? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

What AT (Assistive Technology) do you use for studies?

Options
JenCo
JenCo Community member Posts: 122 Pioneering
With a HI I found full-time study nearly impossible. Attending lectures meant nothing to me. I was thrilled when I started studying with Open University and all of the video resources had subtitles. My partner is dyslexic and uses Dragon for her part-time Masters. Do you study (part or full-time) and if so do you use AT?

What AT (Assistive Technology) do you use for studies? 3 votes

Screen reader (such as NVDA or JAWS)
33% 1 vote
Keyboard navigation
0% 0 votes
Voice recognition (such as Dragon Naturally Speaking or TalkBack)
0% 0 votes
Screen magnifier (such as ZoomText)
0% 0 votes
Other
66% 2 votes

Comments

• Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @JenCo, I graduated university last summer and used a range of AT. As my sight has deteriorated I have moved from screen magnification to a screen reader. I honestly wouldn't have been able to complete my degree if it wasn't for these due to the strain it caused my eyes. Especially towards the end!!
    Scope

• theda1471
    theda1471 Community member Posts: 6 Connected
    Options
    Hi @JenCo and anyone else who may find this useful.

I have been completely deaf in my right ear since I was 16. At uni I was often buddied with students who were profoundly deaf to make use of their note takers when we had to attend lectures in the big lecture theatres.

However, now with the advent of the new accessible Android smartphones and tablets, you can get a free app from the playstore called Google Live Transcribe - this is a godsend.

It captures all live audio and turns it into text which you can copy and paste into your preferred Word Processor. Allowing you to edit and format the text just like you would normally for a document you had typed from scratch.

It's really good with accents. It does struggle with words that sound similar - for example there, their and they're; and right, write and wright. The link below will help with those:

https://spcollege.libguides.com/c.php?g=254288&p=1695265

If I can be of further assistance please message me,

Dale. 
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,938 Scope online community team
    Options
    Welcome @theda1471 and thanks for sharing this. :smile:
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • theda1471
    Options
    @Adrian_Scope

Always happy to share my skills/knowledge, especially if it helps just one person ?
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Thank you for this @theda1471! I found it really interesting. :)
    Scope

• theda1471
    Options
    @JenCo; @Chloe_Scope

I've also just discovered that the android app called "Pocket" has a listen feature which turns any news story, article, or blog post into a hands-free, eyes-free learning experience.

Now you can turn content into knowledge while you cook, commute, work out, walk, or just relax and listen. 

For more details visit their website:
    https://getpocket.com/ 

Dale 
  • theda1471
    Options
    @Chloe_Scope

You're welcome Chloe. Always happy to share my skills/knowledge, especially if it helps just one person ?

Dale

Brightness