PIP MR Refused (OCD/Food Prep) - Page 3 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP MR Refused (OCD/Food Prep)

13»

Comments

• 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,368 Disability Gamechanger
    edited December 2019
    In my experience they sometimes use some common sense if you do not exactly and explicitly fit into one of the descriptors. I have noticed that on occasion they have applied the closest descriptor that vaguely fits. So for example if you use abnormal amounts of toilet roll in the toilet, or shower gels in the shower, they may class this as needing to use an aid or appliance. I would say it is definitely worth mentioning at the tribunal.

Also, remember you can score points for “help you need but don’t get”. I really think, based on you mentioning that you are undernourished, that you need prompting to eat even if you don’t want or get this prompting.

Also, based on your most recent few posts, it sounds as if you should score points for engaging with others face-to-face. I know you just about managed it with difficulty but remember the decision is based on how you are for the majority of the time so if most of the time you cannot manage it then say so. It is important for mental health to tell them about your good and bad days and tell them how many days are good and how many are bad. Also make sure they are well aware of the problems you still face on a good day.

This is probably no help but just thought I should mention. If you have any questions about where I scored points for contamination OCD I’m happy to let you know.
  • 66Mustang
    edited December 2019
    I agree with what you say though in that the descriptors do seem to exclude a lot of your problems, even though they are perfectly valid ones! I had similar issues but still managed to score points while suffering from “contamination” OCD.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,355 Disability Gamechanger
    edited December 2019
    I do appreciate that PIP can be used for anything, but I still believe it was originally set up to pay for care, especially as all the questions ask about assistance and prompting.  My Nan had carers quite often so I do understand the high costs associated with that, compared to a bit of extra loo roll...but equally I've bought bathroom aids for elderly relatives, so know that the small one-off cost of a raised toilet seat for example, is considerably less than the ongoing extra cost's of my utility and grocery bills.  It's difficult to make the system totally fair though.

The cost of aids is irrelevant because no one has to or needs to buy any of those. A needs assessment can be done by self referring to a local council and those aids are given free.

I also agree with @cristobal forget about it for a while because you most likely have a very long wait for the hearing date and if you don't at least try to forget about it, it will make you worse.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,586 Disability Gamechanger
    cristobal said:
    @overlyanxious - I also think that you are overthinking this ...it's a good idea being prepared for the tribunal but you won't be able to anticipate every question.If you think about it long enough then you will find a problem but life doesn't come with a pre-prepared script unfortunately!!

Don't forget also that whilst people offer advice and opinion on here (myself included) no-one knows your condition as well as you. Decide in which areas you should have scored points and justify this...

My advice - you've submitted your application so forget about it now until you get the date. On the day be yourself, and tell the truth.If you don't know the answer to a question then say so.

Hmm, that's odd...it's not like me to overthink things! :D  Talking of overthinking, I suddenly thought about clothes last night...I know it's not a proper court but do you still have to wear smart clothes or are jeans and jumper ok?  Will I be turned away in trainers like a nightclub lol?

I generally do have a script prepared for any conversation I have to make...nothing worse than the other person going off script when it comes to the real thing! :#  I find it much easier to write stuff down in my own time using email or messenger (or forums!) than immediate vocal conversations.  It's not so much not knowing answers as not being able to 'grab' them in the pressured environment of a F2F or telephone.  I often just come out with utter rubbish and contradictions which probably makes it appear like I'm making it up on the spot.

The main thing I've learnt from this process is that I really don't know my conditions well at all lol.  I've never felt so different and 'less able' as I do now after having to scrutinise every aspect of my life against a 'normal' persons life for the purposes of PIP.

I am going to take your advice and ignore it all for now though...  I've got a mental assessment and a dental visit to try and get through this week, before obviously xmas next week, so should have enough to keep me distracted for now!  
  • OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,586 Disability Gamechanger
    I do appreciate that PIP can be used for anything, but I still believe it was originally set up to pay for care, especially as all the questions ask about assistance and prompting.  My Nan had carers quite often so I do understand the high costs associated with that, compared to a bit of extra loo roll...but equally I've bought bathroom aids for elderly relatives, so know that the small one-off cost of a raised toilet seat for example, is considerably less than the ongoing extra cost's of my utility and grocery bills.  It's difficult to make the system totally fair though.

The cost of aids is irrelevant because no one has to or needs to buy any of those. A needs assessment can be done by self referring to a local council and those aids are given free.

I also agree with @cristobal forget about it for a while because you most likely have a very long wait for the hearing date and if you don't at least try to forget about it, it will make you worse.
    Thats a very good point!  It does make me wonder what the money is intended to pay for if you score points for aids then...  I know you'll say I'm still overthinking it though! :D

My Nan can afford her own aids (though we do have the VAT taken off because she has a blue badge) and would be too proud to have them from the council.  She is very much of the opinion that we should only buy things we can afford by working for them, as are most of my family...  That probably helps explain why I feel so guilty being unable to work and having to take ESA & HB, let alone PIP as well lol! :) 

As above, I will try and forget about the tribunal for now.  Thanks for all your help so far!
  • 66Mustang
    The main thing I've learnt from this process is that I really don't know my conditions well at all lol.  I've never felt so different and 'less able' as I do now after having to scrutinise every aspect of my life against a 'normal' persons life for the purposes of PIP. 
    I felt like that as well after going through the assessment. It is very depressing having to fill out the forms etc. as it is so negative to focus on what you can’t do. It makes you sound like a bit of a failure - almost like writing a CV but putting all the bad things in rather than the good haha.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,355 Disability Gamechanger
    @OverlyAnxious regarding what to wear for the hearing.... simple answer is, what you would usually wear. Why? because you just need to be yourself, nothing more, nothing less.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.