Workplace bullying due to disability — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Workplace bullying due to disability

Options
TMH
TMH Community member Posts: 4 Listener
I work in a large company, but feel that I have been bullied and treated differently to other more mobile members of staff.
I have a number of issues including spinabiffida, fibro and severe arthritis. And sometimes cannot drive to work, although my job can be done from home (when they actually decide to give me some work) I am the only member of the team that isn't allowed to work from home as and when it pleases.
I have with the unions help put in an official grievance which was not upheld because I can't prove the things my line manager was saying to me eg. having me on the team is like being a member of staff short. He told me that he didn't know anything about my disabilities and didn't need to know.
Anyòne have any advice for me please I have bee  of work 5 months due to stress and depression because of this and can't see a way back, as I wohld still be on the same team as the bully.

Comments

• Misscleo
    Misscleo Community member Posts: 647 Pioneering
    Options
    Disability Hate Crime.
     its the only.hate crime that the police & council ignore.
    Any other hate crime get at least a pretend investigation.
    Now a lot of us have new MPs this is the time to ask.your MP what they are going to do for disabled people.
    And what measures they are going to take to protect disabled people from
    DISABILITY HATE CRIME.
    If we don't pressure our MPs its never going to get any better.
    I was once told to "Put your walking stick down and help me take these files to my car"
    I said "hang on while I get my phone out and you can say that hate statement to that " she hurried off. Human resources told her off but wouldnt do anything. 

• TMH
    Options
    That is really bad like her my boss has got away with not even a telling off. Hr are now looking at getting rid of me by proving my disability affects my ability to do my job. When it is him that is causing my pain etc.
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,938 Scope online community team
    Options
    The way you've been treated sounds horrendous. We have some information on our website about discrimination at work, but please do seek legal advice or get some free advice on workplace issues from ACAS (you can call them on 0300 1231 100) or EASS.
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • TMH
    Options
    Thank you for the advice I will try that.
  • Han_
    Han_ Community member Posts: 151 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi @TMH and thank you for your post. I am really sorry that you have been going through this.

Citizens Advice have a tool to help determine whether this is work-place discrimination. You can find this here. There is also advice here about what to do about the discrimination at work

Have you seen your GP about the stress and depression you have been experiencing?

Han
  • TMH
    Options
    Thank you for your reply.
    Yes I have been off work for 5 months now my head is a mess and me being off isn't helping my case at all.
  • Han_
    Han_ Community member Posts: 151 Pioneering
    Options
    TMH said:
    Thank you for your reply.
    Yes I have been off work for 5 months now my head is a mess and me being off isn't helping my case at all.
    I am sorry to hear this. Do you have any hobbies or interests that you can do?
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @TMH, I hope the advice above has been helpful. I just wanted to say I'm really sorry that you have had to experience this. Please do let us know how you get on and I hope things improve!
    Scope

Brightness