Anyone understand this? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Anyone understand this?

Options
Penn
Penn Community member Posts: 3 Listener
edited December 2019 in PIP, DLA, and AA
I have been receiving DLA for many many years now. I normally receive it on a Tuesday every four weeks. However, just recently, like everybody else I've had to fill in a form in order for my DLA that we transferred over to PIP. Everything was straightforward, I received a letter informing me that I was still entitled to my benefits and it stated what I would be getting which was exactly the same as DLA.

Now, this is where I'm confused. I should have received a payment of £595.40 on November 26. However,  £467 came through on November 19. It was exactly 3 weeks worth of money. The letter stated that I would receive a further payment on December 11, this would be a similar amount, again three weeks worth of money. These two payments were the last of 2019 and I'm £276 down on what I should have received. I phoned up DWP as he tried to explain the situation but to be honest, he made just as much sense as what was written in the letter. I'm going to be receiving my next PIP payments on January 9. I've calculated the payments all the way through to next December and if the January 9 payment is £595.40 then I'm going to be £276 out of pocket. I don't know why they have done this.
Does anybody else have an understanding of how this works?

Comments

• thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @Penn    Pleased to meet you.

Thank you for joining and sharing.

I am one of the team of community champions.

We guide, advise and help, support members.

A member of our team will be able to answer your question.

@poppy123456 is a member of our community champions team.

Has exceptional knowledge expertise on anything like this situation.

Please if you be patient and tolerance, the lady will be in touch .

Hopefully soon.

Please can I suggest that you could contact CAB as they offer a lot of benefit knowledge and could give you an answer.

Please I hope that helps you.

Please take care.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • Penn
    Options
    Thanks very much, much appreciated.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,018 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    HI and welcome,

Thank you to my friend @thespiceman for the tag.

Everyone gets confused with the payments when transferring from DLA to PIP and it's because DLA is paid 3 weeks in arrears and 1 week in advance and PIP is paid 4 weeks in arrears.

You are not losing any money because your last DLA payments were 3 weeks apart, which means you received the correct money for each of the 2 payments and you're not £276 out of pocket. If those payments were 4 weeks apart and you received 3 weeks money for each of them then you would be out of pocket.

Your payment on 9th January will be for the full amount, which will be 4 weeks money. Hope this helps.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Penn
    Options
    Thanks very much. It suddenly become much clearer thanks to your explanation.

Normally, I would have received £595.40 DLA on 26 November. However, that came exactly one week early so it was £446.51 (minus one week of £148.85). Then the next payment came three weeks and two days later and that was £467.81, an extra £21.52 for the Wednesday. So four weeks time on January 9 I will receive my full payment of £595.40. I feel rather silly now. :-)

Thanks again
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,018 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    You're welcome. It's the 3 weeks payment that confuses mostly everyone that transfers across but that happens because it's paid 3 weeks in arrears and 1 week in advance. Don't feel silly, a question is never silly if you don't know the answer. Always happy to help and glad i put your mind at rest.

Relax now you have the maximum award for PIP and have a lovely Christmas :)
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.