Work and Capability Assessment — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Work and Capability Assessment

travis50
travis50 Community member Posts: 13 Connected
I am currently claiming ESA WRAG--they sent me for Work and Capability Assessment on November 26th. 2019.  Terrible interview, and I took anti depressants with me and explained my situation as best I could, but I feel that this time they are going to stop my ESA. I had no other proof with me. I have problems getting outside. Even putting the rubbish bags out is a problem. First thing Assessor said to me, was. 'You made it here okay' after I'd told him about my acute anxiety going out. I'm 55, in the depths of despair, and I fear I'm not going to make it through. The election result has done nothing to lift my spirits. I now worry that because I haven't heard anything, they are going to wait until after Christmas to stop my ESA. I don't know what would happen then. Can anyone give me any clues at all as to what may happen, and why it's been two weeks or more since I had my Assessment and heard nothing? Thank you. 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,320 Disability Gamechanger
    HI,

2 weeks really isn't long at all not to have heard anything. Decisions can take anything from 2-8 weeks and even longer at this time of year.

I'd advise you to request a copy of the assessment report by ringing DWP. Once you receive that you'll have some idea what the decision is likely to be because they mostly go with the report.

If you told them on the form that you don't go out alone then yes attending the assessment alone may go against you BUT it's impossible to predict anything at this stage.

If the worst happens and you are found fit for work then your ESA will stop and then you'll have 1 month from the date of that decision to request the Mandatory Reconsideration (MR) my advice for now is, if this does happen then post back here and someone will advise you further. Hopefully that won't happen and you'll successfully be placed into one of the groups.

Your ESA will of course continue until a decision's been made.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • travis50
    Thank you very much for your help. It is of great comfort. 

• Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @travis50 and a warm welcome to the community. Please do let us know how you get on and if there is anything else to help. :)
    Scope

• travis50
    Thank you very much Chloe. It's just so stressful. They really aren't helping folks like me. I will keep in touch. Thank you so much. 

• kevin52
    kevin52 Community member Posts: 73 Courageous
    Best Of Luck To you , Hope It works out But Never give Up ! Take them All The Way If Needed .
    But Please Watch Out For DWP Ringing You On The Phone  Before They Decide What To Do ,
    This Happens At Times  , Happened with Me Before , I Missed the Call  and they Kicked Me Off But After Writing To them
    they Put Me In the Support Group ,  I go On the 30TH For Mine  :(

• travis50
    Thanks Kevin. All the best with yours. Mine was bad, didn't like the assessor, seemed snide and assuming. That's why I'm not very confident, and I was sweating buckets and nervous. Such a terrible humiliation. Thanks very much mate. 

• Ripples
    Ripples Community member Posts: 189 Pioneering
    @travis50 I had one on Nov 25th and had the decision on the 16th of Dec but last summer I had one and didn't get the decision for two months often it depends on their workload and backlogs  I suppose. 
  • travis50
    Thanks Ripples. 
  • travis50
    Confusing. Usually receive £204.30 per fortnight. Today received £230.60. Still no letter with decision, so don't know what that higher amount means. 

• poppy123456
    I can only assume that the decision was made part way through the last 2 weeks and you may have been placed into the support group but it's just a guess. To know for sure then you'll need to ring and ask why you've receive that amount of money and ask if a decision's been made on your assessment. They open at 8.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • travis50
    Thanks Poppy. I will let you know. 

• travis50
    Good news. Got the letter this morning. Support Group. Thanks for all the support I received here. Thanks to Poppy who does what she can to ease people's anxiety. It's a Godsend this place. Thank you all. 
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    That's great news @travis50! I'm glad @poppy123456 and the community were able to support you with this. :)
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • poppy123456
    Brilliant news and just in time for Christmas too. Always happy to help where i can :)
  • travis50
    Thank you so much Adrian and Poppy. Yes. Best Christmas pressie I could have had. Seriously wasn't expecting it. :):)
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Amazing news @travis50!! 
    Scope

• travis50
    Thanks very Much Chloe.:)

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.