Universal Credit and Work — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Universal Credit and Work

tracej1
tracej1 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
Hi
I get UC and no longer have to produce a fit note as i passed my assesment. Thing is I'd really like to work maybe a few hours a week (whether i can physically is another matter) but how does it work if I earn? Obvs gets knocked off benefits - anyone know what rate? Just putting it out there. 
All the best x 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,914 Disability Gamechanger
    HI,

As you no longer have to send in fit notes i'm assuming you either have LCW or LCWRA? is that correct?

If so then you'll have a work allowance, which means that you'll be able to earn a certain amount of money each month before deductions are made.

How much that work allowance will be will depend on your circumstances. If you claim the housing element then your work allowance will be £287 per month. If you don't receive the housing element it will be £503 per month. See link. https://www.entitledto.co.uk/help/Work-allowance-Universal-Credit

Once you've earned more than that work allowance then you'll receive a 63% deduction in your UC payments.

Do be aware though that if the work you do contradicts the reasons why you're claiming limited capability for work then you could be re-assessed early and it could go against you when you're next re-assessed. Hope this helps.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • tracej1
    tracej1 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Hi whats LCW or LCWRA? Sorry 
  • poppy123456
    limited capability for work (LCW)

Limited capability for work related activity (LCWRA) You said you no longer need to send in anymore fit notes, are you in one of those groups?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,935 Scope online community team
    Hi @tracej1 and a warm welcome to the community. After your assessment did they put a letter on to your journal? If so, it should mention whether you've been found to have "limited capability for work" or "limited capability for work and work related activity".
    Hope that helps!
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • jollyjoe2065
    jollyjoe2065 Community member Posts: 17 Connected
    They said in January 2019  that i had limited capability for work, then on my re assessment in October 2019 they have decided that i do not have limited capability for work,  how can they go back from a few months ago and say i was not fit for working then now i am fit for work 
  • jollyjoe2065
    jollyjoe2065 Community member Posts: 17 Connected
    And they said i was on a low dose of standard pain relief, but i showed them that i am on 30/500 Co-codomol
    5mg transdemel patches bupronorphine  also 10mg  morphine sulfate  which i take  every 4-6hrs but they classified this as low doses of standard pain relief. 
  • poppy123456
    They said in January 2019  that i had limited capability for work, then on my re assessment in October 2019 they have decided that i do not have limited capability for work,  how can they go back from a few months ago and say i was not fit for working then now i am fit for work 
    You won't be the first or the last person this has happened to. Did you request the Mandatory Reconsideration on the decision as advised on your other thread here? https://community.scope.org.uk/discussion/66856/fit-for-work#latest

• poppy123456
    And they said i was on a low dose of standard pain relief, but i showed them that i am on 30/500 Co-codomol
    5mg transdemel patches bupronorphine  also 10mg  morphine sulfate  which i take  every 4-6hrs but they classified this as low doses of standard pain relief. 

Pain relief isn't going to successfully get you placed into one of the groups. It depends how your conditions affect your ability to do any type of work and this is what the Tribunal will look at if you went down that route.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.