Would I be entitled to PIP? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Would I be entitled to PIP?

gemx
gemx Community member Posts: 5 Listener
edited December 2019 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi I need some advice I'm currently on anxiety medication as suffering bad with anxiety blood pressure tablets as high and on a list for the cardiology department regarding possible heart issue and wondered as finding it hard to pay prescriptions and getting on local transport and not at ease to drive at present as panic whether I may be entitled to apply for pip thanks for advice.

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,349 Disability Gamechanger
    HI and welcome,

I'm one of the community champions here on scope and i'm here to help and advise others.

Regarding the prescriptions, you say you're finding it hard to pay for those at the moment, may i ask if you're working or claiming any benefits at all right now?

Do you live with a partner that works? If you can answer those questions, i'll be able to help you further.

PIP to claim this you must be aged between 16 and state pension age, if this is you then claiming PIP isn't about a diagnosis, it's how those conditions affect your ability to carry out daily activity based on the PIP descriptors. It's not about not being able to drive.

Evidence will be needed to support your claim and a face to face assessment is most likely because most people have them.

If you are over state pension age then it will be Attendance Allowance.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Cressida
    Cressida Community member Posts: 1,014 Pioneering
    A prepayment certificate can help with cost of prescriptions if you have several medications

https://www.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/help-nhs-prescription-costs/prescription-prepayment-certificates-ppcs

• gemx
    Hi
    I dont currently work and because of my anxiety issue ect. I'm finding hard to focus go out and do daily stuff at present I do have partner and he works full time I get child tax for my 2 children and little help towards housing but no other benefits I'm currently awaiting cbt therapy to as spoke to therapist thanks
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,349 Disability Gamechanger
    As you live with a partner that works and you're claiming tax credits then the only other benefit that you could claim is Universal Credit BUT if you claim this then your tax credits will stop. I wouldn't advise claiming UC unless you know for sure you're entitled to and i'd advise you to speak to an advice agency near you for a full benefits check before doing anything else.

For the free prescriptions if your partner earns less than £15,276 per year then you should have a tax credit exemption certificate. If he earns more than this per year then depending on circumstances you maybe able to apply for the low income scheme. See link. https://www.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/nhs-low-income-scheme

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @gemx - Welcome to the community from me too. I'm sorry to read about the difficulties you're facing, & will ask @thespiceman 's advice about your mental health, as he too may be able to help.
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @gemx   Pleased to meet you.

Thank you for my friend @chiarieds mentioning myself.

Please can say sorry about your mental health.

I am one of the community champions.

I have mental health myself, anxiety, depression.

Please may I suggest the following Mental Health Charities.

All offer floating support, advice on mental health, well being, benefits, anything else.

Might not be in all areas.

https://www.richmondfellowship.org.uk.
    Telephone 020 7697 3300

https://www.mind.org.uk.
    Telephone 0300 123 3393

https://www.rethink.org.

Telephone 0121 522 7007

Mentioned seeing a therapist for CBT.  Wish all the best, these charities will support through this.

Offer anything alternative, other therapies, knowledge, education useful.

All charities used techniques coping methods, strategies in support meetings.

Will when you apply self refer or speak to Doctor.

Assess how they can best be supportive, offer goals, steps to cope.

Please any questions please ask, happy to answer.

Have compassion, empathy.

Please take care.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • gemx
    Thank you all for your advise, greatly appreciated.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    A warm welcome to the community @gemx. :)

Please do let us know how you get on and if we can do anything else to help!
    Scope

• gemx
    Hi,
    I have a doctors appointment scheduled next week, and going to make appointments with citizens advice my anxiety is bad at moment I will update you with my progress thanks for asking.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    I really the appointment goes well @gemx!
    Scope

• gemx
    I hope so to, thanks again and will update you all 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.