carers — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

carers

Options
Poppy12
Poppy12 Community member Posts: 66 Connected
Why are carers losing there dependacy element 

Comments

• Topkitten
    Topkitten Community member Posts: 1,285 Pioneering
    Options
    Not quite sure what you mean. As far as I am aware disability is split into 2 main parts. One part is only claimable by the disabled person and the other either by that same person OR by a carer. However, the choice of who gets it is down to the disabled person. There are a few other bits and pieces that can be claimed by the disabled person IF they qualify but that gets lumped in with the first part. It's possible that the rules have been changed because I haven't been able to claim for a couple of years now but that is certainly how it was when it was stopped.

TK
    "I'm on the wrong side of heaven and the righteous side of hell" - from Wrong side of heaven by Five Finger Death Punch.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,982 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Poppy12 said:
    Why are carers losing there dependacy element 

Hi,

Sorry but i've no idea what you mean by this. Could you explain what you mean please?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Geoark
    Geoark Community member Posts: 1,463 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @poppy123456 this was sent by the DWP to rightsnet

State Pension Adult Dependency Increase Cessation: Key information 

Background

Adult Dependency Increase (ADI) is a payment for a claimant who has a financially dependent partner. The claimant may be getting this as part of their State Pension. ADI closed to new applicants in 2010 but continued to be paid to existing claimants.

From 6 April 2020 all ADI payments will stop. If claimants are getting ADI now, they’ll keep getting it until then as long as they continue to satisfy the qualifying rules. When payments stop they may be eligible to apply for Pension Credit or Universal Credit.

The Department for Work and Pensions is writing to people who are affected by this change. The majority live in the UK, with the remaining recipients living overseas.

Why is Adult Dependency Increase (ADI) ending?

Adult Dependency Increase (ADI) was introduced many years ago when many households had a male main income earner and a dependent wife.

Adult Dependency Increases bridged the gap between the man reaching State Pension Age and the wife reaching State Pension Age. This is no longer the way the average household is set up and men and women are now being treated the same within the benefit system.

When is ADI ending?

The changes introduced by the Pensions Act 2007 meant that no new claims to Adult Dependency Increase could be made from 6 April 2010.  Existing claimants could carry on getting their Adult Dependency Increase until 5 April 2020 as long as they continued to satisfy the qualifying rules.

All payments of Adult Dependency Increase will stop from 6 April 2020.

How much will State Pension be reduced by?

This will have been included in the letter sent to affected claimants.

Can the decision be appealed?

No, it is not possible to appeal the decision.

source: https://www.rightsnet.org.uk/forums/viewthread/14507/#71749

As an individual I stood alone.
    As a member of a group I did things.
    As part of a community I helped to create change!

• poppy123456
    edited December 2019
    Options
    @Geoark thank you so much for that information, very interesting. Just goes to prove that despite a persons knowledge about something, you're never too old too learn something new.

Happy New Year to you and your family :)
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Geoark
    Geoark Community member Posts: 1,463 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @poppy123456 you are most welcome. 

Been meaning to thank you for all your support and advice to members during the year. Hope you had a good Christmas and all the best for 2020 :smile:

As an individual I stood alone.
    As a member of a group I did things.
    As part of a community I helped to create change!

• poppy123456
    Options
    @Geoark thank you! I’m always more than happy to help anyone that needs it and I will continue that help in 2020, although it may not be quite as much once my first Grandchild is born in March. 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.