complaint about ESA — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

complaint about ESA

davet
davet Community member Posts: 77 Courageous
is anyone aware of how to complain to the ESA?  two months ago I found a deduction on my ESA of £3.70 per week which was down as a payment to council tax, I contacted my local council who knew nothing about it, they did however confirm that they had previously taken this amount but this finished in April 2007, I obviously wrote to ESA asking for clarification but did not get a reply, I have since written two follow up letters but have still not got a reply there must be some department hidden away that deals with complaints, but I cannot for the life of me find it

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,330 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

My advice is to always ring DWP rather than write them a letter because they don't always respond to letters. If you ring them you'll be able to find out why they are deducting the £3.70 per week and it could be sorted very quickly, rather than constantly waiting for them to reply to a letter.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • davet
    thank you poppy, I try to avoid ringing the ESA as my average on hold time is 35minutes, in addition I do prefer to write and then I have everything in writing if needed
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,330 Disability Gamechanger
    I totally understand that but if you want answers then ringing usually is the best way. Once you've spoke to them then you can always ask them to send confirmation by letter. To be honest 35 minutes on hold is quite quick.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @davet, how's thing going?
    Scope

• davet
    hi chloe actually got a written response from them and despite them advising me that they were making this deduction in a previous letter, they advised me that this is not the case, so all sorted thank you
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Glad to hear it's all sorted @davet! :)
    Community Manager
    Scope

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.