Respite money? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Respite money?

66Mustang
66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,368 Disability Gamechanger

I’m just wondering what the criteria are to receive respite funding - either for me, or my carer, or both - and if anyone knows whether I am likely to be eligible based on the following information?

I have someone who cares for me (a parent) and receives carer’s allowance for doing this. I have another parent who works but is able to take time off to allow my main carer to go away for a break. Is this likely to count against me as I am not dependant on one single person?

When I go away I actually feel a little “better” for the time that I am away. My problems seem to subside just a bit and I am able to do things I wouldn’t be able to do usually. Sadly I haven’t been able to afford to go away for a while now. It would be great to be able to get away for some kind of respite. Even if the money only paid for my carer to go away and I have to fund myself it would be very helpful.

Basically I am asking how I go about getting assessed for funding and whether you think it would be worth me trying based on the above?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,340 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

There's no criteria to any respite money because respite money will depend on the budget of your local council. Some local councils do not give respite money and some do. My previous local council used to give my daughter £2,000 a year to spend on the things she wanted to do, with someone going with her.

My new local council do not offer any respite money at all.

The first step to all of this is to refer yourself for a needs assessment from your local council.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • 66Mustang
    Thank you very much, Poppy. That makes perfect sense.

Sorry to hear your new council don’t offer any money.

I have found my local council’s care and support page via your link, looks like I have a lot of reading to do now. :)
  • poppy123456
    No problem. Although i think you're misunderstanding the whole respite thing. Your needs will be assessed and if it's decided that help/support/care is needed then you'll be given a personal budget. This can then be used to pay for the extra care that you may need.

On top of that personal budget some councils will give extra money for respite but you can't receive the respite money without a personal budget.

In addition to the needs assessment your carer can also ask for a carers assessment.

Once all that is done you'll also have a financial assessment and this will determine how much, if anything you'll need to pay towards the care you receive.

If it's just respite then there maybe other ways of receiving that for your carer. See link. https://carers.org/article/how-pay-respite

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • 66Mustang
    Yes, after reading my local council’s website I think you are right that I didn’t understand it.

I am currently living at home and am getting by on my benefits and with just my parents looking after me. I don’t need any additional carers - in fact having strangers in would actually be detrimental.

On the other hand after reading through I do seem to meet the criteria to get “care and support” - whatever form this may come in. It did mention education being an option, which is something I have been wanting to do so maybe they could help with that.

It is all quite confusing!

Can my carer have an assessment independently of me, if I decide not to have one, or do I need to have one first?

Thanks again.
  • poppy123456
    Usually a carers assessment is done at the same time as a needs assessment, at least it was with myself and my daughter. If you did decide to go ahead with the assessment then of course they will assess you financially too and you may end up paying towards the cost of your care/support.

With the respite as i advised not all local councils offer this, especially now with the the councils budget being so low.

Regarding education, before doing anything else you'll need to get some expert advice regarding this because students and benefits are very complicated, especially if you're claiming Income Related benefits and any student loans that are available will be classed as income, whether you take that loan or not.
  • 66Mustang
    Thanks very much for the information.
  • pollyanna1052
    pollyanna1052 Community member Posts: 2,032 Disability Gamechanger
    My respite funding has recently changed.
    For 7 years I was given £2184 a year and told |I could spend it as I wished.

I used it for accommodation, meals and travel  for me and my carer plus wages for the carer.

They have just changed the rules and the fund had to be used just for carer`s costs..not mine.

I daresay each council has it`s own rules. So Poppy has advised you how to go about it.

Hope you enjoy your breaks.

I wont be having any now, as they say it has to be in nursing homes and I`m not up for that.

Brightness