Help with PIP — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Help with PIP

Options
terenco30
terenco30 Scope Member Posts: 3 Listener
edited January 2020 in PIP, DLA, and AA
I have just received the assessors report for PIP although the assessor recorded that I need supervision in the bath as I have severe obstructive sleep apnea and that I nearly drowned causing me to choke, my partner explained that I fall asleep in the bath and that's why I am supervised. last night my partner's sister went in the kitchen to make some toast and a few minutes later my partner asked if I could hear anything and being hard of hearing I said only the ceiling fan which is noisy aparently she has excellent hearing and she heard a slight sound of the smoke alarm going off which I didn't hear at all. The assessor scored me 0 points.  Also the Assessor scored me 0 points when I need supervision for cooking a meal as I have loss of balance and sleep apnea. 0 points were also given over medication supervision when infact they recorded that I attempted suicide by taking an overdose yet my partner told the assessor that she has been told by the GP that I am not to take my medication without supervison and only she is allowed to administer it. I suffer from anxiety and depression and I have high blood pressure, severe obstructive sleep apnea, hard of hearing and psylogical distress. I find it hard going out to unfamiliar places and my partner always comes with me. I don't have family or friends in liverpool so I am isolated at home most of the time except hospital and GP appointments and weekly shopping which my partner is with me at all times. I also have anger outbursts from time to time.

Comments

• chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,103 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @terenco30 - Welcome to the community & thank you for joining. I'm sorry to read about all the problems you're facing with your health & now your PIP report.
    Do you have any support for your mental health at the moment?
    There are some charities that may also be able to offer support for your mental health.
    The Richmond Fellowship: https://www.richmondfellowship.org.uk  You can check to see if there's any local support as it's not in all areas.
    As far as PIP goes, I'll ask my friend @poppy123456 to give you her advice.

• terenco30
    edited January 2020
    Options
    Thank you so much as since I have been only scored 4 points on my PIP Assessment I have done online PIP tests and I keep scoring 18 points on the Care and 10 on Mobility. It is making my depression and my fear of financial difficulties are getting worse. I lost my ESA a couple of years ago even at the tribunal in liverpool they only scored me 6 points.

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,030 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi and welcome.

Thank you to my friend @chiarieds for the tag.

You will need to wait for a decision to be made on the PIP, once it's made you'll have 1 month from the date of the decision to request the Mandatory Reconsideration. You should put this in writing stating where and why you think you should have scored those points. Adding a couple of real life examples of what happened the last time you attempted that acitivity for each descriptor that applies to you.

You should avoid mentioning any lies/contradictions that may have been told in the report because they won't be interested in any of those.

It's very easy to score yourself points in the PIP self test if you don't fully understand the PIP descriptors and what they mean. This is the reason why i very rarely put a link to the PIP self test when advising others. Scoring those points for yourself in this test doesn't mean it's possible to score those points.

This link will give you some understanding of those descriptors, what they mean and the criteria and i'd advise you to have a read. https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/personal-independence-payment-assessment-guide-for-assessment-providers/pip-assessment-guide-part-2-the-assessment-criteria

Do be aware that most MR decisions remain the same so it's very likely you'll have to take it to Tribunal. Waiting times for hearing are huge in most areas and you could be waiting as long a year for a hearing date.

May i ask if this is a PIP review, first time claim or a transfer from DLA?

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • terenco30
    Options
    Hiya. Thanks for your advise and this is a first time pip claim transfer from DLA
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,030 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    You're welcome.

I'd definitely advise you to have a read of the link i posted above. PIP and DLA are totally different benefits with different criteria.

Also be aware that if the worst happens and you're not awarded PIP then your DLA ending could affect any other benefits you're claiming.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Welcome to the community @terenco30! If you need anymore information about this then please do let us know. :)
    Scope

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.