PIP: proving you can't walk 20 metres — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP: proving you can't walk 20 metres

Florine
Florine Community member Posts: 62 Courageous
I've been quite surprised to see on here recently that several people seem to have had little problem getting higher rate mobility on PIP while not being, shall we say, clearly obviously unable to walk 20 metres - or at least that was my impression.  It's all academic now as far as we're concerned (our only "proof" being that being in the Support Group for ESA "proves" that you can't walk more than 50 metres), but I'd still be interested to hear of the sort of approach which persuaded the DWP that you couldn't walk more than 20 metres and got you those awards, if that's allowed.

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,357 Disability Gamechanger
    edited January 2020
    Hi,

There's no high rate mobility for PIP, it's Enhanced mobility. Being in the Support Group for ESA doesn't prove you can't walk more than 50 metres because not everyone is placed into the Support Group for mobilising and it's not just about your ability to walk for this descriptor, using a self propel wheelchair is also part of it and if they think you can use one, then you won't be placed into the Support Group through that descriptor.  The main entry into the Support Group for a lot of people is regulation 35.

For those that are placed into the Support Group through the mobilising descriptor (50 metres) will not help them get  a Enhanced mobility PIP award because the criteria for Enhanced mobility is no more than 20 metres.

A lot of people successfully claim Enhanced mobility for moving around without any problems at all, myself included. I didn't have to persuade DWP that i couldn't walk that distance because i wasn't assessed by DWP, i was assessed by a HCP, who recommended Enhanced mobility because it was obvious i couldn't walk 5 metres without pain and discomfort.

You will always read the negative stories on an internet forum and not the good ones because if someone's had an award they are happy with they have no questions to ask, so we never hear their story.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Florine
    Florine Community member Posts: 62 Courageous
    edited January 2020
    Ah, pain - yes, I guess if you're obviously in pain that will certainly make it easier for the HCP to understand.  So I suppose the question is, what if what prevents you from walking more than 20 metres is not obvious?  What if it's the onset of fatigue, for example?  Clearly saying something along the lines of "by the time I've walked 10 metres I need to be turning round and going back again because otherwise the fatigue will set in and I'll be stranded" doesn't cut it, especially when the HCP has watched you take half-a-dozen steps indoors and concludes from that you're perfectly capable of walking 200 m outdoors - and has also erroneously put in the report that you've walked half a mile(!).  It's those cases where it's just your word against theirs that it's so difficult to prove.  And as for anecdotes - if you're struggling with something like chronic fatigue you learn the hard way not to try and push yourself beyond safe limits because the consequences are so dire if you do, so you're unlikely to be able to provide any. 
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,521 Disability Gamechanger
    There are other ways to get enhanced mobility other than how far you can walk, I get it because I have to have someone with me wherever I go due to the constant risk and reality of seizures.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,357 Disability Gamechanger
    woodbine said:
    There are other ways to get enhanced mobility other than how far you can walk, I get it because I have to have someone with me wherever I go due to the constant risk and reality of seizures.

That's very true and my daughter receives Enhanced mobility for following and planning a journey but as this thread is about walking 20 metres then it's 2 different PIP activities.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.