Apprenticeship mature adult — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Apprenticeship mature adult

Options
Catherine67
Catherine67 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
Hi All,
can anyone advise me on the rules of apprenticeships and receiving employment support allowance (support group) also pip standard.
Tia 

Comments

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,629 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    PIP is paid if you work or not, however if the "job" you do conflicts with the reasons you get PIP it might raise questions, as for ESA and apprenticeships i'm not sure
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,056 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    HI and welcome,

Apprenticeships will come under permitted work. For permitted work you can earn no more than £131.50 per week after deductions BUT you must work less than 16 hours per week.

If the apprenticeship falls outside of those rules then you will no longer be entitled to ESA.

If it's within those rules then you must tell DWP you're working and you must fill out a PW1 form. If the work you do contradicts the reasons why you're claiming ESA then you could be re-assessed early and it could go against you when the decision is made. The same rule apply for PIP and working.

If you do start the apprenticeship and it's 16 hours or more per week then you will need to report the changes to ESA and also housing benefit/council tax reduction, if you claim those.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Catherine67
    Catherine67 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    Thank you Poppy x

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.