Motability, Blue Badges and disabled motoring
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Where can I get advise for Disabled Motoring adaptions

SueHoSueHo Member Posts: 2 Listener
Hi all,

I am new to this site, so firstly hello to everyone.  I was wondering if anyone could help.  My son is 17 and has mild left side Hemiplegia.  He doesn't currently receive mobility PIP.  He is currently learning to drive and needs adaptions to drive.  I was wondering if there is any websites or anything out there that will help with where to start with this. I can find the adaptions to purchase online but cannot seem to find out any information on what cars this can go into etc and the only other thing I can find is obviously motorbility which he is not eligible for.  Any advise greatly received.  Also does anyone know if he will need specialist insurance, I didn't think of this until I just came across something online.  Thanks


  • wilkowilko Member Posts: 2,326 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello and welcome, firstly I would contact your local mobility car dealership who obviously will give advice about their brand of cars but hopefully will point you in the direction of a company that makes or fits the adoptions your son requires. As for insurance again contact your own car insurance company for advice or goggle the questions you want answers to. Good luck and update with your son's progress regarding his driving. 
  • SueHoSueHo Member Posts: 2 Listener
    Thank you Wilko.  Thank you I will try that.  Re the insurance I think I have got the answer to that, it looks like you can get normal insurance but you have to declare the disability and adaptions. Thanks
  • poppy123456poppy123456 Member Posts: 22,218 Disability Gamechanger
    HI and welcome,

    You say your son doesn't receive mobility PIP but does he have a PIP award at all?

    Regarding your question, i've found some links that may help you.

    Hope those help.

    Proud winner of the 2019 empowering others award. This award was given for supporting disabled people and their families for the benefit advice I have given to members here on the community.
  • Chloe_ScopeChloe_Scope Scope Posts: 10,653 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @SueHo and a warm welcome to the community! 

    Here is some information about driving and Motability. I'm aware your son wouldn't qualify for Motability if he doesn't get PIP, but the page also has other information like getting adaptions which would be relevant. 

    Adapting your car

    Driving Mobility can assess what kind of adaptations you might need. There are 17 regional driving assessment centres across the UK. As well as adaptations, they will also assess your ability to drive.
    Ask them to advise you on who can fit your adaptation. You should always get more than one of estimate on how much it will cost. 

    Get the VAT (Value Added Tax) back on an adapted car


Sign in or join us to comment.