Permanent Sciatica — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Permanent Sciatica

Options
facemask5
facemask5 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
Hello  - I want to apply for PIP as I stuggle with permanent sciatica due to an operation.   I can't see that the PIP questions apply to me so much but the condition really affects my live and where I go - every day.  I don't know how to even start writing - it's quite overwhelming because I can dress and wash myself but have been let go by my employers because I can't sit down for a long time to do my work.  There are no questions about this.  I struggle reading most of the time because I can't focus due to the medication - does this count?  Anyone been through similar or know where I can get some help?  Thanks

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,038 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi and welcome,

I'm one of the community champions here on scope. PIP isn't about a diagnosis, it's how those conditions affect your ability to carry out daily activity based on the PIP descriptors. It's also not about your ability to work.

You can have a disability but if the descriptors don't apply to you then you won't score the points for an award.

Having some understanding of the descriptors and the criteria always helps. Start by having a good read of this link. It's very long but i strongly advise you to spend some time reading it thoroughly. https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/personal-independence-payment-assessment-guide-for-assessment-providers/pip-assessment-guide-part-2-the-assessment-criteria

If you do decide to apply, you'll need to send relevant evidence to support your claim and fill out the forms with as much information as possible about how your conditions affect you. Adding a couple of real life examples of what happened the last time you attempted that activity for each descriptor that applies to you.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    A warm welcome to the community @facemask5! I hope Poppy has been able to give you enough information.

Here is something that give you an understanding of the descriptors. 

If there is anything else then please let us know. :)
    Scope

• facemask5
    facemask5 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    Thank you.  I understand it doesn't have to be a diagnosis.  The problems I face daily are not covered in the PIP application. 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,038 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Do you fully understand the descriptors and what they mean? Very few people do. Did you have a good read of the link i posted above? If you did and the descriptors don't apply to you then you won't score the points for an award. You can have a disability but not qualify for PIP because if the descriptors don't apply to you then you won't score the points.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • johnmichael
    johnmichael Community member Posts: 4 Listener
    Options
    facemask5 said:
    Hello  - I want to apply for PIP as I stuggle with permanent sciatica due to an operation.   I can't see that the PIP questions apply to me so much but the condition really affects my live and where I go - every day.  I don't know how to even start writing - it's quite overwhelming because I can dress and wash myself but have been let go by my employers because I can't sit down for a long time to do my work.  There are no questions about this.  I struggle reading most of the time because I can't focus due to the medication - does this count?  Anyone been through similar or know where I can get some help?  Thanks

Even though you can manage dressing and washing by yourself, you're still facing big challenges because of your sciatica. It's tough for you to sit for long periods, which cost you your job. But the PIP questions don't seem to ask about this kind of problem. Also, your medication makes it hard to focus and read, right? That should count too.

If you're feeling lost or unsure about what to do, there are people and groups out there who can help. They know all about PIP and can guide you through the process. Places like disability organizations or Citizens Advice can be useful. Even talking to a doctor or someone you trust could give you good advice.

You're not alone in this, and there's help available. Just reach out, and hopefully, things will get easier.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.