Claiming — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Claiming

Options
pjgumna
pjgumna Community member Posts: 18 Connected
edited January 2020 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi everyone,
I'm new here so it would be nice to speak with people who understand. 

I was diagnosed 5 years ago with complex post traumatic stress disorder, anxiety and depression. Mainly due to my experience of being in a war zone in Libya for almost 5 years. 
I've tried to work but I have terrible relapses where I am virtually incapacitated due to all my symptoms. 
I am now on universal credit and would like to know if I am entitled to PIP.
My GP has told me that I am now classed as having a mental health disability. Is this correct?

Comments

• wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello and welcome. PIP is a benefit awarded to people to help them with their daily living activities and mobility issues. It is not awarded on a diagnosis or disability or the medication you are prescribed or illness you are suffering from. You should take a self test of PIP and look at the PIP assessment descriptors and see how you would fit into the assessment criteria for claiming PIP. 
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @pjgumna and a very warm welcome to the community, great to have you with us!

PIP is a disability benefit which is split into two parts: mobility and daily living. The benefit does not given due to a diagnosis, but how the individual is affect. Here is some information from the Scope website about the PIP procedure.

If you need anything else then please do let us know. :)
    Scope

• pjgumna
    pjgumna Community member Posts: 18 Connected
    Options
    Thankyou for the information 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.