PIP Assessment at home instead visit to unknown location. — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP Assessment at home instead visit to unknown location.

rbz
rbz Community member Posts: 109 Courageous
edited January 2020 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Today received a letter from CAPITA regarding face-to-face consultation. There stated venue location - some address in my town.
I wish consultation to be carried out in my home, because due my health problems I can't go to unknown location.
Can CAPITA refuse my request to carry out face-to-face consultation at my house?

Comments

• 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,367 Disability Gamechanger
    edited January 2020
    Yes they can, they will ask you to send them evidence to show that you need a home assessment. In my experience they are very strict, I had the same issue as you and was informed my evidence was insufficient so I had to go to an assessment centre in a town 20 miles away which was very difficult.

Sorry I haven’t got better news but I wish you good luck, hopefully you have better luck than I did!
  • rbz
    In my case I have hearing disability, so have difficulties during communication, by this reason I can't ask/understand answer if need some support.
    There very big building and have troubles to find where exactly located my assessment room.
    Another problem - my leg pain. There no lifts in the building and need to use stairs, which increase leg pains.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,333 Disability Gamechanger
    You will need a letter from your GP stating the reasons why you can't attend the assessment centre. If you attend other appointments then this can go against you when requesting a home assessment.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,519 Disability Gamechanger
    rbz do you have someone who could go with you?
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• rbz
    @poppy123456
    I believe that my GP can't issue letter regarding this matter, also there another problem - I don't know how long need wait for appointment to my GP and how long need wait for a letter. There need some time for postage.
    My assessment planned on 24th January at Local Citizen Advise Bureau.
    @woodbine
    My wife will go together, because there also problem with car parking. She will drop me beside main door and I wait while she park the car.
    There she ask in reception further information.

But home assessment better suits for me in case if family member can't go together to assessment centre.
  • 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,367 Disability Gamechanger
    That was the exact problem I had - I was informed of the assessment 4 weeks in advance, and the wait for a GP appointment was 5 weeks!

Maybe you can contact them to delay the assessment date?
  • poppy123456
    @rbz may i ask why your GP can't write you a supporting letter for the home assessment?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Cressida
    Cressida Community member Posts: 1,014 Pioneering
    rbz said:
    In my case I have hearing disability, so have difficulties during communication, by this reason I can't ask/understand answer if need some support.
    There very big building and have troubles to find where exactly located my assessment room.
    Another problem - my leg pain. There no lifts in the building and need to use stairs, which increase leg pains.
    Are you certain there are no lifts? If that is the case that's quite shocking.
  • EmmaJane
    EmmaJane Scope Member Posts: 32 Courageous
    I just asked them nicely, said something about my mobility issues making it difficult for me to travel into town, and they sent me an appointment for a home assessment. That was a couple of years ago so it may have got worse, or could it be different from one place to another?
  • rbz
    @poppy123456 I already asked an support letter during my previous PIP claim GP refused issue  support letter for Tribunal, by this reason I not sure GP issue letter now.
    @Cressida there 2 storey building, I don't know where located Assessment Centre (maybe ground floor) also there located Citizens Advise Bureau and some other offices.
    Also there very huge problem with car parking. Almost impossible to find free parking space close to building. Bus station far away from building, also far away from my house. Anyway I need a family member support to reach assessment centre.
    @EmmaJane At first I will try to contact my GP regarding letter and then try contact CAPITA to ask for home assessment. Also I report that I wish to record my face-to-face consultation.
    My first PIP assessment on 2018 was in my home as there no assessment centres in my area. I don't know when assessment centre opened in my area.
  • EmmaJane
    EmmaJane Scope Member Posts: 32 Courageous
    @rbz if you have already had one PIP assessment in your home, I would guess that would work in your favour when requesting the same again, even if there is now an assessment centre closer than it used to be.
  • rbz
    @EmmaJane during my first assessment on 2018 I didn't asked about home assessment. I automatically received assessment at home.
    I don't know why new assessment planned on assessment centre.
    Maybe every assessment now carried out in assessment centre, maybe there other reasons as I placed few complaints against CAPITA (at this moment Independent Case Examiner working with this matter) regarding my first assessment report content.
  • poppy123456
    The reason you had the home assessment the first time may have been because there were no assessment centres in your area.

As there's 2 floors there will most likely be a lift inside, otherwise lots of people wouldn't be able to get to the first floor.

If you're recording the assessment you'll need to ring the health assessment providers and use the appropriate recording equipment, which is either CD or tape recorded and you must record 2 identical copies, handing one in at the end of the assessment.
  • rbz
    @poppy123456
    Very likely there no assessment centre on 2018 in my area. Don't know when they opened centre.

I visited this building before (Citizens Advise Bureau), but never see lifts, always used stairs, because CAB located upstairs.
    Maybe assessment centre located on ground floor, but I don't know. Letter from CAPITA not contains any information about centre location inside building. Just address.

Regarding recording I already reported CAPITA by letter (letter was delivered on 9th January.
    I can't communicate over phone, so preferred communicate with CAPITA via post only.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.