CPTSD — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

CPTSD

JemimaP
JemimaP Community member Posts: 9 Connected
Hi

I don’t know if I’m doing this right. I’ve never done anything like this before.

Long story short, I think after a lot of reading I have CPTSD. It’s the only thing that has ever made me understand me. My sister found the symptoms and sent them to me, saying this is you and she was right. I tick every box.

My problem is I know I can’t live like this forever but I don’t know how to approach a Dr. I don’t have any trust in them, or anyone, and don’t think I’m worthy enough if their time or help. I think they’ll just think I’m over exaggerating although I haven’t been to the doctors in five years and only go when I’m exceptionally ill. 

The emotional flashbacks and dissociation are getting worse so I can’t work. I can’t sleep, eat or really function. But I don’t know how to explain it to a dr without feeling stupid and pathetic.

I can pretend to most people that I don’t think or feel like this but I’m going to end up loosing my home.

Sorry for the essay. Any advice would be gratefully received. Thanks

Comments

• Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @jemima661 and a very warm welcome to the community, it's great to have you here!

I'm sorry to hear you are experiencing some distressing symptoms. Is there anyone you could take with you to the GP? I was just wondering if you have had any mental health support in the past?

The feels you have are not over exaggerating and your GP should take your concerns seriously. It can be really beneficial to seek mental health support.

Here is a guide from MIND about how to talk to your GP about mental health.

Please do let us know if there is anything else we can do to help. :)
    Scope

• JemimaP
    JemimaP Community member Posts: 9 Connected
    Hi @Chloe_Scope thanks for the welcome!

Ive never had any dealings with Mental Health before. I’ve always managed to suppress and distract myself. Plus I just thought this was just how I am.

I don’t want my family or friends to know how much I’m struggling. Although I trust them, I find it difficult to show any vulnerability to anyone.

Thanks, I’ll read the guide :)
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @JemimaP, I can completely appreciate how difficult it can be to open up to others about your mental health. You may be able to have a phone appointment with your GP so they can get an idea of the support that could help, you would then attend an appointment with the same person you spoke to on the phone. 

Also, here is the mental health support directory. It allows you to search the support that is within your area. Some of them do not require a GP referral so you can refer yourself. 
    Scope

Brightness