mental health — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

mental health

saggybagpuss6019
saggybagpuss6019 Community member Posts: 10 Listener
i am Asperger's and i have fibromyalgia , i have been dealing with so much emotional stuff all my life and now its really taking control of me with high anxiety where i dont want to go any place , plus the constant pain of fibro dragging me down , i had counselling thru a charity for 12 weeks but even thou her report said i should continue with support , iv just been left and i dont get any support my gp says there's nothing available ,i was given a number for self referral which i rang and had a few weeks with but it was not the right type of counselling i needed i need to sort my past out first before i can move on  ,

Comments

• thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @saggybagpuss6019   Sorry to hear that you experiencing problems.

I know counselling might be an initial start and sometimes thinking the next steps.

As one of the community champions as with a lot of knowledge, experience own health issues mental health and anxiety.

Also have addiction history as well please if you need any advice or guidance on this please ask me.

Advise many members as I can.

I would just add there is a lot of misconception and misunderstanding about what support is available.

There are charities.  Usually have ways and means to deal with anything you are going through, called coping methods strategies.

You will find these might be useful how to deal and cope with anything  as your going through.

Using care plans, small steps and aims make a situation you experiencing more adaptable and easy to cope with.

Address discuss in a sensible practical manner what you need. From any service.  Please one point always write down in a precise short note what you require.

Please give this to the support worker need help with this please can you read.

I get tongue tied, sweating, mouth dry so use this, useful.

I know all charities have a care concern packages and measure to ensure safe guarding but making sure your supported and cope.

Instant support from meetings where you meet others like yourself discuss meds, sleep diet, nutrition and much more. Social outings and activities.

You mentioned your anxiety high please if I can suggest, consider some changes to a few things.

Please avoid all Caffeine in Tea, Coffee, Cola and Chocolate, these are stimulants and can cause more problems.

Alcohol a major one to avoid.

When we get anxious feel the need to have a drink or reach for the Caffeine but that makes it worse.

Well balanced diet and nutrition lots of fruit and vegetables.  Lean meat include whole grains in your diet bread, rice, pasta and pulses.

Add to that eat eggs, nuts and leafy greens.

Milky drinks with honey warmed for aids restful sleep. Yoghurt for the stomach and bowels.

A common problem.

Also water to help with after meals aids digestion as does a number of herbs and spices.

Something you might and would need to consider yourself.

I take Cinnamon, Fennel Seeds, and others.

Turmeric is one used a lot in anxiety be warned though not supplement from health food shops . Wasted money do not have the full ingredient.

As with any thing please discuss with your GP.. Certain meds can effected by certain herbs, spices.

St.Johns Wort an example , Grapefruit juice effects serotine levels of certain meds.

I used all three please consider having a look you can self refer or speak to the GP.

The charity who did the counselling should have discussed with you options and assisted you to looking the next steps.

Referred to charities.  Like these.

https://www.richmondfellowship.org.uk.

https://www.mind.org.uk.

https://www.rethink.org.

Last one an advocate charity helps with representing you on speaking having problems with medical professionals..

I would use these charities offer a lot more, floating support, welfare, health well being, benefit advice. Anything else.

Please ask me any questions happy to be helping. Being supportive, have compassion, empathy and sensitivity.

Please take care.

@thespiceman
    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi again @saggybagpuss6019 - Was the information I gave recently about CBD of any use? Now you mention anxiety, this would be a better one to try: https://www.simply-cbd.co.uk/product/simply-cbd-light/   or https://www.simply-cbd.co.uk/product/liquid-gold/  the black pepper in it is thought to be anti-inflammatory, but it also contains turmeric, so long as you can tolerate that.
    Altho CBD is thought to help both anxiety & pain, with anxiety, you need to start way slower. Just 1 drop a day for a few days, then, if OK with that, try 1 drop twice a day; then 1 drop 3x a day, & so on. Some people find their anxiety improved on a very low weekly maintenance dose.
    As I've mentioned, if you want more help with this, I'm more than willing.

• Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @saggybagpuss6019, sorry to hear you have been left with no support. To add to previous comments, please only take medication that has been prescribed by your doctor.

Here is the directory for mental health support. There might me something in your area that you have not been made aware yet.

Also, this is the National Autistic Society directory which may include other support avenues.

Please do let us know if there is anything else we can do to help. :)
    Scope

Brightness