advise with new sky+ hd box - Page 2 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

advise with new sky+ hd box

2»

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,338 Disability Gamechanger
    Seanchai said:
    hi Deb74 ....I think that you may have expected to connect your sky box ( from amazon) and be up and running ? 
     I,m afraid if you have not purchased a sky package (from sky) the you will not get the box to work . Please phone sky and see what they say , their packages can run from around £25 a month to well over £100 a month depending on what you wish to view on your TV . 
    Good luck and please let us know how you get on . ?

Hi,

This was my thoughts too, which is why asked if they were a sky customer. I did do some googling and it is possible to receive some freeview channels without being a customer but a viewing card will be needed to view all of the freeview channels and i believe there's a small charge for one of those cards.

Difficult to advise and if the issue hasn't be resolved then a call to sky will be needed because it may not be a fault with the box.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Geoark
    Geoark Community member Posts: 1,463 Disability Gamechanger
    Yes, you can view free channels on a skybox without a contract. There are some variations to Freesat. There may be an issue with the viewing card, and Sky provides one for £25. Or at least do with their own box to view free channels without a contract.

As an individual I stood alone.
    As a member of a group I did things.
    As part of a community I helped to create change!

• deb74
    deb74 Community member Posts: 814 Pioneering
    Hi Geork. I didn't mean I can't view fee channels. I have only ever had the free channels on sky. What I meant was you can't use a freeview box where I live. I spoke to a friend of mine yesterday who is going to see if he can get it sorted for me. 
  • deb74
    Hi Seanshi. I have never had a new sky box before. I have always had second hand boxes and have never bought a package from sky.
  • deb74
    Hi Seanshi. Also I have never had a viewing card. A friend of mine had a look yesterday and said there is nothing wrong with box he is going to see if he can sort it out for me.
  • Geoark
    Hi @deb74, sorry the comment was not aimed at you but correcting the notion that you have to have a Sky contract for a skybox to work.

If you have had second-hand skyboxes, but the new one is not it seems likely that this could be a card issue rather than an issue with the box. If your friend is unable to resolve the problem, a call to Sky should be able to resolve the problem if it is the card that is the issue.

Having had a quick look around the general information is about using skyboxes which have previously used on a subscription. did find this advice though:

A small number of channels are available “Free-to-view”, which means they can be viewed on a Sky box for free, but they require a viewing card. These are the Channel 4 and Five channels. Sky used to supply cards originally known as Solus Cards, as part of Sky Freesat. If you need a card, but don’t want to take out a subscription, give Sky a call and ask for a Sky Freesat viewing card.

source: https://www.radioandtelly.co.uk/satellitefree.html

Hope you manage to sort it out soon.

• thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello  @deb74    Please can I add the following may be of interest to you.

Freesat  which is a Freeview system using a satellite dish, connected to a box.

This may cost you around £20 to £25 from any retailer, use Curry's.

You could as I mentioned before ask Curry's do the lot they sell boxes, fitting the whole package, satellite.  I know of this because looking at new TV.

Last week discussed options, including broadband installation to be connected to Netflix .  One socket near my TV is damaged they would and wished to offer to send some one to look at this.

Of course my cost and my expense. Understand if you look on Curry's websites lots of guides and informative information.

Understand this is an alternative to SKY.

I had this myself .

With this box you can get all Freeview channels no need for SKY box or any SKY contract.

Please can I add further I moved to an area surrounded by trees, building a lot of signal problems.

On an advice from the web and consulting the information on there.

This I consulted those with expertise, knowledge using on line call chat.

Sent an engineer out and he fitted the satellite dish, the box. Offered a back up plan and a repair contract.

Looked at checkatrade.com website then and still do.

Please can I suggest you need some one on line to talk to you.

Many companies speak to them about your problems your issues with coverage.

When we switched from analogue to digital I consulted the web.

I do get confusion, muddled and do rely on those with knowledge.

My friend @Geoark has given me a lot of his time when I asked about getting another laptop and alternatives.

I did write all the information down made notes, kept for future reference.

Always useful ideas.

With that used it last week to make a decision to purchase new laptop from Curry's

He does have a lot of useful information, very knowledgeable.

To members like myself.

Worth consulting, listening to.

Hope this helps you to realise there is a lot of information, advice and guidance to be asking those with expertise. 

Make notes, be aware there are solutions and practical sensible answers to any problems.

We as a community can help and please be careful also be concerned that there are those out there.

To exploit con, see you as a meal ticket make money from you.

Trust me had the lot, they all see the disability thinking going to make massive profits form you but in reality not so.

Once got a knock on my door from a neighbour up the road. Worked for installation company selling, fitting aerials, satellites.

Heard had not any coverage told me at the door, my neighbour next door had told him.

Leaflet flung at me quoting wild over the top  prices including VAT.

Leaflet had no prices on it at all.

Talking here hundreds into thousands.

He got miffed and sent on his way got short shift from me.

Always have some on with you in anything like this, I do.

Just a suggestion.

Please take care.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • deb74
    Hi @thespiceman. Thanks for that. It looks like I will need to buy a viewing card which is weird because I have never needed one before. I will talk to my friend about it next time I see him.
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @deb74   Please can I ask please read carefully what I have written to you.

In my post to you.

I am sorry to have to tell you.  You have wasted your money, do not need a SKY Box.

Please look on line for information for FREESAT.

Please contact Curry's as they will do this for you, check the coverage and everything else.

I apologise but I have to add SKY is an option if you wish to have a package.

I would consider FREESAT, I had this and you get all FREEVIEW channels and any FREESAT channels.

As I mentioned before moved to an area surrounded by trees, buildings.

Would need advice on coverage.

Please contact AMAZON ask for a refund.

You not the first, the last to have been through this problems.

Please listen to what I am telling you and others.

Please read carefully all information.  Write it down or down load it.

I am sorry but I hate to say see a valued member of our community get short shifted, conned.

Sorry harsh words I am not a nasty person am a gentleman of the forum, just every time need to say anything like this.

Get emotive, upset and need to say my honest opinion.

I am not a technical gentleman rely on knowledge from others and use there advice and guidance.

Often consult members of our community.

My friend @Geoark being one.

The other week my taxi driver asked him, politely he offered to help and assist.

Rebounded talking to some one who knows often a good ideas is it not.

We live in a technical age need to be aware consult those that know.

Please look at Curry's websites have as they do informative videos of anything you need to know.

Simple, easy to follow.

Curry's have staff trained for members of our Community speak to them.

Had last week a member of staff must be near to my own age, kind supportive listen to them.

Please wish you all the best.

Please take care.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • poppy123456
    deb74 said:
    Hi @thespiceman. Thanks for that. It looks like I will need to buy a viewing card which is weird because I have never needed one before. I will talk to my friend about it next time I see him.

You said you've never had a sky box before, which is why you won't have the viewing card. I'm a little confused when you say you can't use a free view box in your area because a sky box is a similar thing to a free view box.

Also because you've never had a sky box before then there could be a problem with the dish.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • deb74
    Hi @poppy123456. I said I have never a new sky box. I have always had second hand boxes. Not sure why freeview boxes don't work here. It is weird. When I moved into my house in 2015 I bought a freeview box but it didn't work and I was told by my neighbour that you couldn't get it here. If I wanted to get freeview I would have to pay a to use it which makes no sense whatsoever to me! As for there being a problem with the dish my friend is going to check it for me.
  • Geoark
    While Freesat and Sky box are similar to Freeview they differ in how the signal is delivered to the box. Freeview works like the old analogue tv in there needs to be a transmission tower which sends the signal and is normally picked up via an aerial. This had issues in some areas with poor or no signal. Freesat and Sky box receive their signal from a satellite and do not suffer so much from buildings and other obstacles interfering with the signal. In areas where there are issues with the local transmitter, satellite is the best solution.

The problem @deb74 is having is that she previously bought used sky boxes. Once the first 12 months contract is up if a person leaves the service, the card is converted to a free view card, so she never had problems with them. As this is a new box, the card will not be set up to view without first being on a contract. Hence the need to contact Sky to get a new card for the box. Sorry deb74, I have done some more searching since my last post.

Main differences between Freesat and Sky box is Sky box shows all the standard definition tv stations plus a few more, while Freesat offers 20 HD channels compared to 11 on Sky box. The advantage of freeview, if a good signal is available, modern tv's normally have this installed internally and so does not need additional equipment. Apart from an aerial.

• deb74
    I will get in touch with sky. Thanks. 
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Did you manage to get this sorted @deb74? I hope you're able to watch TV again soon!
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • deb74
    Hi Adrian_scope. I got a viewing card and tried to sort it out but the box still isn't working. I am starting to wish I had bought a second hand box instead!
  • poppy123456
    Was the viewing card from sky or someone else?
  • deb74
    It is a sky viewing card.

Brightness