How to get from 20 years higher mobility to zero points - Page 2 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

How to get from 20 years higher mobility to zero points

2»

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,333 Disability Gamechanger
    That isn't going to help because a worsening of condition now, isn't going to help your claim because they won't take that into consideration and neither with the Tribunal.

You are concentrating on your power chair and that isn't part of the daily living activities. What you wrote in your previous comment is just too long and a lot of is isn't relevant. I didn't read of it because it's not relevant. Trying to reason with them not to give you the daily living award to save money and award you the mobility part isn't going to work.

If you can walk 6-8 metres 4-5 times per day then this may go against you because they could assume you can walk that distance regularly.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • kandarohi
    kandarohi Community member Posts: 11 Connected

Thanks Poppy It just seems wrong that I cant just answer the questions and have to figure out what the assessor wants to hear and say that. Yes I have looked at it and I will make an answer now from the document but it feels like you have to have a degree to get a wheelchair nowadays
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,333 Disability Gamechanger
    No problem. You have to keep it relevant, no one is saying that you don't qualify, what we are saying is that begging and reasoning will not get you a PIP award.

No degree is needed, just real life examples of what happened the last time you attempted that activity for each descriptor that applies is what's needed.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Florine
    Florine Community member Posts: 62 Courageous

Unfortunately, Poppy, this I think is where people with ME (pwME) are struggling with the current system - and it's a subject I've been meaning to bring up separately for a while.  They have such limited energy reserves that they are pretty much unable to push outside their "energy envelope" without doing themselves very severe harm - like making themselves bedridden, if they aren't already.  It's called pacing: keeping within your limitations, and is virtually the only thing which seems to bring about an improvement in the condition.  So really no way is anyone with ME going to deliberately overdo things just so they can provide anecdotal evidence about what happened the last time they did it, any more than someone with, say, field of vision problems is going to veer off a path and fall down a steep slope just so they can tell the DWP what happened when they did :(

Certainly, lots of people claim PIP without problems, but pwME tend not to be among them, in my experience, unless they have other limiting conditions as well which qualify them.  Hence the frustration.

Additional couple of comments to @kandarohi: unless things have changed since the last set of guidance came out:

- "getting around" is deemed as being outdoors only: there's nothing about whether you can move around inside your home :(

- putting a ready meal in the microwave doesn't correspond to the DWP's definition of meal preparation, which is using fresh ingredients, chopping and cooking etc.

Obviously someone do correct me if things have changed.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.