P.i.p back payment from tribunal — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

P.i.p back payment from tribunal

Ben2303
Ben2303 Community member Posts: 24 Connected
Hi everyone, 

I am just wondering how to figure out how much I’m owed back from my p.i.p. Benefit.

As you all probably knew I had to attend a tribunal to appeal as I lost my full benefit, but they now have awarded standard daily living component back. 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,330 Disability Gamechanger
    HI,

Standard daily living is £58.70 per week from April 2019. You just need to count the amount of weeks it took from the time the original decision was made.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Ben2303, is there anything else we can do to help? :)
    Scope

• Ben2303
    So just need to calculate £58.70 from the date when they originally stopped my claim??? 

Apologies to come across dumb, my academic side of me isn’t too good
  • Ben2303
    Hi @Ben2303, is there anything else we can do to help? :)
    Could you direct message me please would that be ok 
  • poppy123456
    Yes but £58.70 is the rate from 8th April 2019, it was slightly less than that before the increase.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Does Poppy's comment clarify everything @Ben2303?
    Scope

• Ben2303
    Thank you both for your replies.

What I’m finding difficult to work out is knowing how much I’ll be receiving. 

• poppy123456
    edited January 2020
    Start from the date the original decision was made, then count the weeks until the Tribunal made the decision and this will give you an approximate amount. Use a calendar to count the number of weeks, then times it by the above amount.

Impossible to help further without knowing the exact details and dates.
  • Ben2303
    Hi Poppy,

thanks for this, the original decision was made on 10/04/2019 and then the tribunal made a different decision on 29/10/2019.

• Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Hi @Ben2303. That makes it around 28 weeks. So 28 x £58.70 = £1643.60
    This is approximate though. Hope that helps.
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Ben2303
    hi Adrian, thanks for your message. 

so its not exactly 28 weeks then?
  • poppy123456
    edited January 2020
    Ben2303 said:
    hi Adrian, thanks for your message. 

so its not exactly 28 weeks then?

We can't work out exactly how many weeks because you will have to wait longer than the Tribunal decision date to receive your backdated money. Adrian has just worked out an approximate amount, as he's advised,  because no one can tell you the exact amount.
  • Adrian_Scope
    Hi @Ben2303. I've said 28 weeks because there's 28 and 6 days between the two dates you've given. But as there'll still be a little while before they put it in payment, it could be a bit more than 28 weeks, so it just depends on when they pay you. As Poppy said, it's difficult to give an exact amount of weeks, but it should be at least 28 weeks worth.
    Hope that helps somewhat!
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Ben2303
    Hi all, I have received the back payment from DWP. I presume I just need to wait for a letter now with my award details along with my first pay day going forward. 

how do I check tho that i've been paid the correct amount of arrears???? 
  • Jurph
    Jurph Community member Posts: 369 Pioneering
    @Ben2303 they're very rarely wrong.

The letter will tell you how much backpay you've got and what dates it's paid between.

You can work it out yourself but it's tricky. As Adrian explained, you need to work out how many weeks between the 2 dates there are, then times that by your weekly amount (this still may not be wholly correct as the rates changed in April)
  • Ben2303
    @Jurph

thanks for your message. 

I have not received no back payment letter from DWP. 
    They have told me when I spoke to them they don’t give letters out for appeals, but they will issue me an award letter which shows my entitlement. 

Would it be any letter I got from the courts I would need to refer too?? 

Certainly seems the only way to be certain is to do a manual calculation which is going to be tricky. 
  • poppy123456
    It will be an award letter from DWP and this can take anything up to 8 weeks after a Tribunal win.
  • Adrian_Scope
    Glad to hear you've received your back pay @Ben2303
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Ben2303
    Can anyone please assist with adding up dates and get a figure for the weeks as I’m struggling. 

Apologies to come across dumb. 

I think this is just where my mind is going round and round. 
  • poppy123456
    Hi @Ben2303. That makes it around 28 weeks. So 28 x £58.70 = £1643.60
    This is approximate though. Hope that helps.

The sums were done here but it's just a guide i'm afraid because it depends exactly how many weeks in total it will be up until they pay the backdated month. No one can tell you exactly how much you'll receive.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.