Work Capability Assessment decision - Page 2 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Work Capability Assessment decision

2»

Comments

• sceneparade
    sceneparade Community member Posts: 93 Courageous
    edited January 2020
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,352 Disability Gamechanger
    The £495 was for rent. 

So I will be getting: 

UC - £495 
    UC - £336
    ESA - 224 every fortnight

No, sorry you're still not understanding it. Yes i know £495 is for your rent but it's still a UC element.

You will receive UC £664 (this includes your £495 for rent)

ESA £223 every fortnight.

It's not possible to receive the £336 extra in the UC and the £38.55 extra in the ESA payments.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • sceneparade
    Okay. 

To make it easier to understand, I just added it as follows:

ESA £292 per month (£146 / week) 
    UC £495 + £336 
    Total £1123 

+ PIP = £1718
  • poppy123456
    If that's the way you want to work it out then that's ok.  You just won't receive payment that way, you'll receive it the way i worked it out. Confusing for a lot of people when you're receiving New style ESA and UC together. At least you are better off each month, which ever way you look at it.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • sceneparade
  • poppy123456
    You're welcome
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Hi @sceneparade.
    Universal Credit can be really confusing and gets more complicated with NS ESA too.

Currently I imagine your UC statement looks something like this:

Standard Allowance: £317
    Housing: £495
    DEDUCTIONS:
    Payment to your landlord: £495
    Deduction for overlapping benefit (ESA): £317(ish) 

So you get £0 Universal Credit paid directly to you and then you get £73.10 ESA per week (or £146.20 fortnightly).

Now you have LCWRA both your UC and your ESA should increase.

You should now receive £111.65 ESA per week (£223.30 a fortnight).

Then your Universal Credit will look something like this:

Standard Allowance: £317
    Housing: £495
    LCWRA: £336
    DEDUCTIONS:
    Payment to your landlord: £495
    Deduction for overlapping benefit (ESA): £483
    UC payment: £170

So going forward you should receive:
    £170 UC a month (in addition to your housing) 
    £111.85 ESA per week
    PIP
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • poppy123456
    @Adrian_Scope thanks for confirming my calculations were correct, much appreciated.
  • sceneparade
    Hi @poppy123456 @Adrian_Scope,

I'm now confused. 

I get an additional £336 UC for being In the support group. My ESA increases by £38 per week to £111. However, I lose some of the £336 from UC. So £336 - (4 × 38) = 336 - 152 = £184. 

If I only get £170 then I don't really get 336 extra a month. Because more is taken then given by the above calculations. 
  • poppy123456
    edited January 2020
    Hi @poppy123456 @Adrian_Scope,

I'm now confused. 

I get an additional £336 UC for being In the support group. My ESA increases by £38 per week to £111. However, I lose some of the £336 from UC. So £336 - (4 × 38) = 336 - 152 = £184. 

If I only get £170 then I don't really get 336 extra a month. Because more is taken then given by the above calculations. 

I'm not sure why you're confused, i've tried explaining it in so many different ways, i can't explain it any clearer.

Your ESA increases and so does your UC. The reason why your UC doesn't increase to the full amount of £336 is because your ESA increases. If both the ESA and UC increases to the full amount then you would be receiving the same amount of money twice.

What matters is that you will be £336 per month better off in total. which is 100% correct. As advised, when claiming New style ESA and UC together your new style ESA is deducted £1 for £1 from your UC amount, so there's no financial gain to claiming them both at the same time.

The only advantage is that New style ESA isn't means tested, which means that savings/capital and living with a partner that works doesn't affect the amount, which could potentially be useful in the future.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.