Heart failure, what can I claim? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Heart failure, what can I claim?

wild_one
wild_one Community member Posts: 95 Connected
Im currently on ESA for depression/anxiety and some other health issues. My GP has just told me today that I’m suffering from heart failure. I’m waiting to see a consultant to decide on treatment. I currently experiencing SOBOE, fatigue. What would be my options for any help? And would claiming anything put me on the UC rollercoaster?

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,359 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

As you're already claiming ESA then the only other benefit that maybe possible is PIP, if you don't already claim this or DLA. However, PIP isn't awarded based on a diagnosis, it's how those conditions affect your ability to carry out daily activity based on the PIP descriptors.

Relevant evidence will be needed to support a claim, which should state how your conditions affect you against the PIP descriptors. A face to face assessment is most likely because most people have them. A claim could potentially take several months, maybe longer.

Claiming this won't prompt a move to UC because PIP isn't part of it.

If you're already claiming DLA then reporting a change of circumstances will prompt a move to PIP.

Some links here that may help you.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • wild_one
    Hi,

As you're already claiming ESA then the only other benefit that maybe possible is PIP, if you don't already claim this or DLA. However, PIP isn't awarded based on a diagnosis, it's how those conditions affect your ability to carry out daily activity based on the PIP descriptors.

Relevant evidence will be needed to support a claim, which should state how your conditions affect you against the PIP descriptors. A face to face assessment is most likely because most people have them. A claim could potentially take several months, maybe longer.

Claiming this won't prompt a move to UC because PIP isn't part of it.

If you're already claiming DLA then reporting a change of circumstances will prompt a move to PIP.

Some links here that may help you.

Many thanks poppy! Interesting point about the pip taking several months, I’m hoping I’ve got that much time left? 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,359 Disability Gamechanger
    If the diagnosis is terminal and you have less than 6 months then you can claim using the DS1500 form, which can only be completed by your doctor. See link. https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/benefits/sick-or-disabled-people-and-carers/pip/help-with-your-claim/how-to-claim-if-terminally-ill/

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • yanni
    yanni Community member Posts: 91 Pioneering
    wild_one said:

Many thanks poppy! Interesting point about the pip taking several months, I’m hoping I’ve got that much time left? 

@wild_one

Having the condition myself, I just wanted to say that heart failure does not mean that your heart is 'failing'. 

It means that your heart is not pumping as it should so blood, and therefore oxygen, is not getting round the body as it should so you get tired and out of breath more than normal.

Medication should help with the symptoms and there are also devices, such as a pacemaker, if medication alone doesn’t help.

(Apologies if you already know if this. In my experience medical staff use this term without explaining what is actually means and seemingly without realising how scary it is for their patient to hear “You have heart failure”. It happened to me and I hate to think of anyone else being scared unnecessarily.)

I was diagnosed 5 years ago and the hospital are ready to discharge me as my condition is stable on medication. I do get tired more easily than I used to and I find it difficult to do some of the physical tasks that I used to do but I am 5 years older so maybe that would be happening anyway. it is a case of pacing myself and accepting my limits and taking a rest if I need to.

Also, you say you have depression and anxiety and if you are not eating properly this can cause fatigue on its own, for example lack of iron can cause tiredness and breathlessness so it might be worth asking your GP to test you for any diet deficiencies and try to eat healthily.  

Hopefully you won't have to wait too long to see the consultant. 

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,521 Disability Gamechanger
    A friend of ours has had heart "failure" for over 40 years, whilst she has had a few scares over that time she's still with us and probably fitter than me.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• wild_one
    Thank you all for the kind comments. I have ‘aortic regurgitation’, but I’m just waiting to see a consultant as to what the next step will be. There are options. 
    I cant believe how quickly I went downhill. Just before Christmas I walked 1 mile and back to Tesco. Today I can’t walk up my stairs without being out of breath! Scarey!
  • capbiker
    capbiker Community member Posts: 4 Listener
    It can be scary to be told that you have got heart failure.  4 years ago on February 29th (I was 36 years old).  I was admitted to hospital with pneumonia straight from my GP.  For months before hand, I was having difficultly breathing etc.  And kept on going back to my GP to be told that I had a chest infection and was given antibiotics, that I had asthma and that was the reason why I find it hard to breath etc.  At the time I was 36 years old, and do have a speech disability.  So I had my father with me for each appointment.

I saw a localem doctor at my last appointment.  She took one look at me, asked if my lips were usually blue.  Of which my dad replied no, listen to my chest.  And told me that she thought that I had pneumonia and that she wanted me at the hospital ASAP.  I was only expecting to be in hospital for a couple of days, while I was on oxygen and had strong antibiotics.  When I got admitted in A&E.  They kept on asking me and my dad about my heart.  Have I had pain in it etc.  I kept on replying no, I am here for pneumonia and there is nothing wrong with my heart.  

I was admitted to hospital, and was told.  That I had heart failure, along with pneumonia.  It wasn't until about 2 days later after tests, that they told my family how serious it was.  My left side was only pumping 15% of the blood around the body.  An average adult's left side pumps around 50% to 60% of the blood.  I was actually quite ill, and it was a virus that was attacking my heart.  So they had to put me on anti viral drugs for my heart.  And antibotics for my pneumonia.  What they couldn't tell us, was if I had heart failure first or pneumonia.  I was in hospital for 2 weeks and half weeks.

I have been on heart medication since then.  I was off work for just under 6 months, and want back on phase return.  I am working full time again.  Work has been good and allowing me to work at home two days a week.  If I am feeling tired in myself, they do allow me to work at home more often too.  Because I do have to commute into work.  Lucky, I am going in the opposite direct to rush hour.  So I can easily get a seat on the train.

At my last check up with my heart consultant, my left side was pumping in the low 50% range.  So that is a good thing, consider where I was. 

Can I do everything that I did before.  No. Yes to most things.  But I do get tired easily, and I have learnt to adjust to it.  Once you get it treated, you should feel a lot better in yourself.  
  • wild_one
    capbiker said:
    It can be scary to be told that you have got heart failure.  4 years ago on February 29th (I was 36 years old).  I was admitted to hospital with pneumonia straight from my GP.  For months before hand, I was having difficultly breathing etc.  And kept on going back to my GP to be told that I had a chest infection and was given antibiotics, that I had asthma and that was the reason why I find it hard to breath etc.  At the time I was 36 years old, and do have a speech disability.  So I had my father with me for each appointment.

I saw a localem doctor at my last appointment.  She took one look at me, asked if my lips were usually blue.  Of which my dad replied no, listen to my chest.  And told me that she thought that I had pneumonia and that she wanted me at the hospital ASAP.  I was only expecting to be in hospital for a couple of days, while I was on oxygen and had strong antibiotics.  When I got admitted in A&E.  They kept on asking me and my dad about my heart.  Have I had pain in it etc.  I kept on replying no, I am here for pneumonia and there is nothing wrong with my heart.  

I was admitted to hospital, and was told.  That I had heart failure, along with pneumonia.  It wasn't until about 2 days later after tests, that they told my family how serious it was.  My left side was only pumping 15% of the blood around the body.  An average adult's left side pumps around 50% to 60% of the blood.  I was actually quite ill, and it was a virus that was attacking my heart.  So they had to put me on anti viral drugs for my heart.  And antibotics for my pneumonia.  What they couldn't tell us, was if I had heart failure first or pneumonia.  I was in hospital for 2 weeks and half weeks.

I have been on heart medication since then.  I was off work for just under 6 months, and want back on phase return.  I am working full time again.  Work has been good and allowing me to work at home two days a week.  If I am feeling tired in myself, they do allow me to work at home more often too.  Because I do have to commute into work.  Lucky, I am going in the opposite direct to rush hour.  So I can easily get a seat on the train.

At my last check up with my heart consultant, my left side was pumping in the low 50% range.  So that is a good thing, consider where I was. 

Can I do everything that I did before.  No. Yes to most things.  But I do get tired easily, and I have learnt to adjust to it.  Once you get it treated, you should feel a lot better in yourself.  
    That’s quite a story, just imagine going through all that and being 20yrs older like me!

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.