PIP Help — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP Help

Options
HannahP
HannahP Community member Posts: 4 Listener
Hi all, I have been in receipt of standard rate PIP for both components for about a year now for a plethora of physical and mental health issues spanning 5 years which severely affect my life, as I'm sure many of you are familiar with!

Have over the past months been experiencing really debilitating attacks almost every other day which have led to me being pretty well stuck at home, unable to eat sleep or even move very far without fearing bringing on another attack. Am not sure if it's panic disorder as I have a congenital heart defect and POTS which complicate things, under medical investigation but no answers yet.

I was hoping to ride this out, but have got to a stage of phoning ambulances going to A&E every few days in fear of my heart failing and am jeopardizing general health, work, relationships etc.

Wondering if anyone has had to report change of circumstances re deteriorating condition, and how people found this process? I feel I might be eligible to recieve higher daily living rate at this stage with all the trouble these attacks are causing me day to day. 

Thanks everyone for reading, and if any of the above is troubling you as well don't hesitate to get in touch and comment, we could all use a listening ear! X

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,072 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi and welcome,

For a worsening of condition you must have had this for at least 3 months and expect it to last at least a further 9 months.

PIP isn't about a diagnosis or not being able to work, it's how those conditions affect your ability to carry out daily activity based on the PIP descriptors.

When reporting a change of condition you will be sent more forms to fill in and return with all your relevant evidence to support your claim. Another face to face assessment is most likely because most people have them.

Yes, you do risk losing what you already have but of course your award could also remain the same or be increased. There have been members here that have reported a worsening of condition and have lost everything, as well as members that have received the same award and a higher award.

It really depends how your conditions affect you against the PIP descriptors. A worsening of condition doesn't automatically mean you'll score more points for a higher award.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • HannahP
    Options
    Yes I've looked at the PIP descriptors and questions again, as far as I can tell sensibly there should be more points scored. 

I have used http://www.pip-assessment.support as fairly/unbiasedly as I'm able, which lands me on the higher bracket.

I know the system is how it is, but my conditions and daily living aside from these occurances in the last 6 months or so have remained the same/become worse with regards to pip descriptors; it does not make sense to me that an award should be taken away unless the PIP interviewers opinions and decisions are wildly inconsistent - or perhaps within the last year PIP parameters have changed?

Either way the government website asks you to report changes of circumstances, so that's what I'll do. Fingers crossed I suppose.

Thanks.
  • poppy123456
    Options

It's very easy to score yourself points if you don't fully understand the descriptors, even with the link you posted above.

I also find the "all changes must be reported" very misleading, especially for PIP.

Anyway, good luck.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Cressida
    Cressida Community member Posts: 1,016 Pioneering
    edited January 2020
    Options
    Hannah if you search the forum you will find other threads asking the same question. I would really take time to think about the changes before you apply. There was a recent thread where someone lost their award when doing this. Also I think it is easy to over score on the self tests. I dont want to put you off applying as probably successful applicants may not post. But I have seen several posts on here where others have shockingly lost their awards when notifying a change if circumstances.
    Edit just seen you have no more medical evidence despite investigations, I dont think they would count going to A&E as new evidence. 
  • HannahP
    Options
    Apologies didn't mention I found out my heart condition has worsened since first PIP claim and have been admitted in hospital after being taken to A&E before due to these new occurances and the danger of a link this poses. I have also kept paramedics records of tachycardia and other symptoms still present when they arrived.

Have also been referred to therapy as a consequence of these changes.

Don't know if you could clarify what 'new evidence' means with regards to PIP, as I thought the deciding factors are supposed to be based on how daily living is affected, not on diagnosis/investigations? I have kept as many notes/records/diaries as possible despite no present diagnosis.

If new evidence means a diagnosis I would be unlikely to have this by my PIP review date anyway, nevermind a change of circumstances claim :/. Doctors are very reluctant to rule anything out due to my complications, and I have a lot further to go before (if ever) finding answers. 

I do hear what you're saying though, and it's utterly awful that people can lose their claims even after getting worse. I hope it's a rare occurance as you suggest.

Thank you for replying
  • poppy123456
    Options
    PIP isn't about a diagnosis, it's how those conditions affect your ability to carry out daily activity based on the PIP descriptors. If the evidence you have doesn't state how your conditions affect you against the PIP descriptors then it may not help your claim.

You say you've been referred for therapy, if this therapy doesn't take place in your own home, then you won't score points for this for Activity 3, managing and monitoring a health condition.

If you do report the changes you will receive more PIP2 forms, which should be filled out with as much information about how your conditions affect you as possible. Adding a couple of real life examples of what happened the last time you attempted that activity for each descriptor that applies to you.
  • cristobal
    cristobal Community member Posts: 984 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    ."Don't know if you could clarify what 'new evidence' means with regards to PIP, as I thought the deciding factors are supposed to be based on how daily living is affected, not on diagnosis/investigations? I have kept as many notes/records/diaries as possible despite no present diagnosis."

@hannahP... you are correct..as Poppy has said it's nothing to do with diagnosis...

Having read a lot of the posts I think there can be some confusion about 'evidence'.

Some people seem to think that attaching as many pages of medical stuff as you can is a good idea. I didn't personally because, unless the medic is saying something about how you are unable to do day to day tasks, i didn't consider it any help...
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @HannahP, how are you doing? :)
    Scope

• HannahP
    Options
    Hello, not so well! Ambulances and the like :/ Was hoping to catch a break from it all this week but no such luck yet. 
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Really sorry to hear this @HannahP! Please do take care.
    Scope

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.