Son moving back home. — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Son moving back home.

Leon630
Leon630 Community member Posts: 25 Connected
Hi,
My son is moving back in to live with me next month. 
I am currently receiving ESA (WRAG), SDP and enhanced pip (both elements). 
Will this change mean I will have to claim UC instead? 
Many thanks for any reply :smiley: 
leon630

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,330 Disability Gamechanger
    HI,

If your son doesn't claim a qualifying benefit such as PIP daily living or DLA mid/high rate care then you will lose the SDP, which is £65.85 per week.

You will also need to contact your local council because you will also lose the single person discount for your council tax.

It won't prompt a move to UC. Hope this helps.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Leon630
    Hi Poppy,
    Thank you so much for your quick reply :smiley: 
    Yes, I understand I will lose the SDP. I was really more concerned about having to move onto UC. I am so glad this will not prompt a move.
    I will contact the council as soon as he moves in. Should I contact the DWP before he moves in or on the day?
    Thank you again 
    Leon630.
  • poppy123456
    You're welcome,

Contact DWP and your local council on the day he moves in.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Leon630
    So sorry Poppy.
    I didn't realise I had posted this twice...:/
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    I've removed the duplicates @Leon630
    Can I just double check whether you are receiving any other benefits such as housing benefit?
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Leon630
    Hi Adrian,
    Sorry about the duplicates and thank you for removing them :smile:
    Yes, I receive Housing Benefit but pay 14% due to the extra bedroom I have at the moment. I receive Council tax benefit (25% discount as a single person),  ESA  WRAG rate, SDP and Enhanced rate PIP both elements.
    Will any of these be reduced, apart from losing the SDP, or will it make no difference? 
    Many thanks for your help.
    Leon630
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Depending on the age and working status of your son @Leon630 you could lose some of your housing benefit and your council tax reduction. Is your son currently working or claiming any benefits at all?
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • poppy123456
    Depending on the age and working status of your son @Leon630 you could lose some of your housing benefit and your council tax reduction. Is your son currently working or claiming any benefits at all?

HI Adrian,

Non dependent deductions wouldn't apply here because @Leon630 claims PIP. I think you may have missed that part.

Council tax reduction, the 25% single person discount would be lost here but anything else, i couldn't comment because all local councils have their own criteria.
  • Leon630
    Hi Adrian and Poppy,
    Thank you for the much appreciated replies.
    My son is 33, Self Employed and not claiming any benefits.
    Leon630
  • poppy123456
    Leon630 said:
    Hi Adrian and Poppy,
    Thank you for the much appreciated replies.
    My son is 33, Self Employed and not claiming any benefits.
    Leon630

For your housing benefit, it doesn't matter how much he earns because you're claiming PIP, there will be no non dependent deductions.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.