Widowed Parents Allowance — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Widowed Parents Allowance

Options
amandadee
amandadee Community member Posts: 7 Listener
edited January 2020 in Universal Credit (UC)
I do not get payments on Universal Credits and I have recently been assessed for ESA and been put in the support group for ESA but have been told I do not get any payments there either.  I have a pension from my late husband and I am in receipt of Widowed parents allowance. I was under the Impression there would be no cap under my circumstances regarding widowed parents allowance and that payment would not be included in the calculations or deductions when working out ESA. I have no clue about benefits at all so could really do with some help.
Thank you in advance

Comments

• Robert46
    Robert46 Community member Posts: 7 Listener
    Options
    Hi Amandadee, I'm not an expert but it's understood anyone on ESA Support Group would get payment regardless of private pensions....dont ever give in..keep fighting for it
  • amandadee
    Options
    Thanks Robert46
    That's what I was lead to believe and I cant understand this at all. Who would it be best to take this up with? Would you know?
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,030 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Robert46 said:
    Hi Amandadee, I'm not an expert but it's understood anyone on ESA Support Group would get payment regardless of private pensions....dont ever give in..keep fighting for it
    Hi, sorry but this isn't exactly correct.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • amandadee
    Options
    Hi Poppy123456
    Could you explain how this works as I'm struggling to understand.

Thanks
    Amandadee
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Hi and welcome,

I'm one of the community champions here on scope and i'm here to help and advise others.

Your widowed parents allowance is counted as income when claiming ESA.

Your late husbands pension will also be classed as income if your ESA is income related. If your ESA is contributions based then any pension of more than £85 per week will reduce your ESA by 50p for every £1 over that amount.

Hope this helps.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Robert46
    Robert46 Community member Posts: 7 Listener
    Options
    I'm not an expert, I just wish I could truly help you
  • amandadee
    Options
    Thanks Poppy123456

Do you think it's worth me claiming contribution based then as I have full stamp for the last few years through self employment and employment?

• poppy123456
    Options
    Which ESA are you claiming, is it New style ESA?
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Which ESA are you claiming, is it New style ESA?

Ok, your widowed parents allowance is classed as an overlapping benefit for your ESA so it doesn't matter whether you claim the New Style ESA or not, this means that you can't receive both of these benefits together.

If you're claiming Income related ESA, which is unlikely if it's a new claim then your widowed parents allowance will be classed as income and reduce it £1 for £1. Hope this helps.
  • amandadee
    Options
    I think so, I put a claim in for Universal Credit when I lost my job through illness and they sent a health questionnaire for ESA

I'm completely list with how ot all works though
  • amandadee
    Options
    Lost with how it all works 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Ah right, i see you claimed Universal Credit and had a work capability assessment. Either way, i'm afraid your widowed parents allowance will reduce your UC £1 for £1. Also your late husband pension will also reduce is even further and this is the reason why you won't receive any payments.

• poppy123456
    Options
    May i ask how much the widowed parents allowance is per week please?
  • amandadee
    Options
    Its £112 per week
  • poppy123456
    Options
    That means that because of the overlapping benefit rules with New style ESA i'm afraid you won't be entitled to claim that either. This is because the widowed parents allowance is more than the New style ESA and you would only be entitled to claim the one.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.