Bedroom tax — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Bedroom tax

Options
byeck823
byeck823 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
hello i'm a single parent living in a 3 bedroom house i've took disabled and my son is probably going to live with my oldest son. i'm paying bedroom tax for one bedroom. can anyone tell me if i will have to pay for the other room to. and if yes how much will it be ? thank's for any advice. Peter  

Comments

• steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @byeck823

Good Morning & Welcome to our Online Community/family.

I am one of a team of Community Champion’s here at Scope.

My good friend Poppy will be able to help you with your question.

Hi @poppy123456

Sorry but I have just come across this post & I was hoping that you can “shed some light” on it for me???

@steve51
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,222 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Thanks @steve51 for the tag.

Hi and welcome @byeck823 if you have 2 more spare bedrooms then you will lose 25% of your entitlement. You could apply for a discretionary housing payment (DHP) from your local council but there's no guarantee you'll receive this and it's only paid for a short period of time before you have to reapply. If you apply for this then i'd advise you to get some help filling out the form because it's very complex.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • byeck823
    byeck823 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    Thank you. I'm also house bound so turned one room in the a small gym for exercise. would that come in to my favour ? 

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,222 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    No problem. No, unfortunately, it's still classed as a bedroom.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness