Can I go back onto contribution based ESA if savings go over 16k and I am currently on income based? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Can I go back onto contribution based ESA if savings go over 16k and I am currently on income based?

kevmick
kevmick Community member Posts: 5 Listener
I am currently in support group for ESA, income based , I also get severe disability allowance . I am about to I inherit over 16k from my late mums house which has been sold and split between my siblings and I (This will realistically only be 2 years rent on my flat and living expenses then will be gone
. Will I lose all ESA completely or will I get an element of contribution based as they will put me back on that? I have heard whilst on income based they pay contributions for you each month. I know realistically some will say if you have over 16k in savings why should you get anything , but it will only replace money for 2 years I have coming in, then to have to re apply for everything seems a scary situation to be in. I also wanted to put something away for my daughters but that will be depreciation of capital will it not?

Comments

• steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @kevmick

Welcome to our online community/family.

I am one off a team of Community Champion’s here at Scope.

We have got someone here who will be very very happy in helping you with your “Benefits”

Hi @poppy123456

I have just come across another “Benefit Inquiry”

@steve51
  • kevmick
  • steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @kevmick

No probs, Poppy should be in contact with you shortly.

If you have any further questions/problems please let me know!!!!!

@steve51
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,330 Disability Gamechanger
    Thanks @steve51 for the tag.

Hi and welcome @kevmick

It will totally depend if your ESA is part Contributions based and Income Related. If it's all income related then all of your means tested benefits will stop. You will of course continue to receive NI credits towards your state pension.

If it's part Contributions based then you'll keep £111.65 per week. If you're unsure what exactly you're claiming then you will need to ring ESA/DWP and they will tell you.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • kevmick
    Thanks for reply ? If I am on all income based, can I not apply for contribution based if I am still on PIP for another 4 years as well ? As that's not means tested? 
  • kevmick
    I found out part is contribution based and will keep the £111 a week, so that's better than I had expected , and a relief. Thanks for swift advice to call them
  • poppy123456
    No problem. No because it doesn't work like that. If your ESA is all Income Related then you won't be able to apply for Contributions based. PIP is completely different benefit to ESA.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • kevmick
    All sorted now Poppy just put another message before your reply they confirmed part of my claim is income so will still get amount you stated ??
  • poppy123456
    Glad it's sorted. Of course if you're claiming housing benefit and council tax reduction you won't be entitled to these and you will need to report the changes once the money goes into your bank. You will still receive the 25% single person discount for your council tax.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.