Rejected for pips. By givingup - Page 4 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Rejected for pips. By givingup

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 144 Pioneering
    My girlfriend reminded me that we'd already tried and it was a waste of time I'm afraid.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,339 Disability Gamechanger
    I'm sorry to hear that. As i said it's not guaranteed and it does depend on your local council and how much of a shortfall there is with your rent and whether you could afford that rent when you took on the tenancy.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • [Deleted User]
    I took it on with my mother ten years ago, she has sadly since passed away three years ago, 
  • sh33psh34d
    sh33psh34d Community member Posts: 4 Listener
    Sit in local council building 
    Get into a sleeping bag 
    When they ask wot your doing ...say your living there for 3 days because your landlord isn't happy you've not enough 2 pay him ....unless they can find you an answer 
  • poppy123456
    Sit in local council building 
    Get into a sleeping bag 
    When they ask wot your doing ...say your living there for 3 days because your landlord isn't happy you've not enough 2 pay him ....unless they can find you an answer 

In all honesty, that's really not going to help anyone claim any extra benefits.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • [Deleted User]
    Maybe if we all had a mass sit in? It would!
  • [Deleted User]
    Emailed channel 4 TV as there having more programmes regarding mental health and also one about the problems with universal credit, which I'll be switched to sometime this year, ( just to cheer me up!). I have also written to my MP again. Trying to raise awareness and hope it'll get the message across to those who CAN do something about it!
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    edited January 2020
    Hello @givingup   Please you mentioned mental health.

Please look a the following to help and support you.

https://www.richmondfellowship.org.uk.

https://www.mind.org.uk.

https://www.rethink.org.

All are mental health charities offer the following services.

Benefit advice including form filling in speaking for you.  Assessments attend .  Any additional support.  Reviews and signpost to relevant organisations and charities.

Look at anything else housing, lifestyle and social, welfare and health.

Might not be in all areas you can self refer or speak to your GP.

Other relevant support and organisations.

https://www.salvationarmy.org.uk.

https://www.redcross.org.uk.

https://www.moneyadviceservice.org.uk.

https://www.turn2us.org.uk.

https://www.trusselltrust.org.

Hope that helps you.

Please take care.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • Laborador
    Laborador Community member Posts: 20 Courageous
    Hi there @givingup, I am still waiting to hear about my pip application, my previous claim ended and so, like you, my esa reduced too, so I know what you mean about the reduction, it feels truly brutal. I'm busy trying to cope by reminding myself that it could be so much colder, meaning more money for the sodding gas meter. I'm so sorry that you are struggling like this. It struck me that you've had so much good advice on this thread, and I wondered if you had had a look at any of the charitable organisations relating to yourself or your g/f's previous working life? I know there's one for nurses, one for transport workers etc. When things are as they are for the likes of you and I, everything feels grim and seems to take forever.I was in this pickle for over a year whilst I waited for my pip appeal and then was ok for a while, and here I am again. The difference this time, is that I am more prepared and less likely to accept a straight refusal without seeking help. My only problem is that I fell ill, and that's not a crime as far as I know. I know it's difficult, but I think you and the rest of us deserve better, and in order to get it, we have to be as strong as we can and get what support we can. Never be ground down! Never! And do your best to make your days have at least one small positive thing in your day. Good Luck.
  • poppy123456
    @givingup what makes you think you'll be invited to apply for UC this year?
  • [Deleted User]
    Hi poppy, my citizens advice advisors say I'll be moved to it whether I want to be or not!  They reckon it's so the government can save £20 a month by switching me over?!
    Labroador thank you.
  • poppy123456
    Everyone will be switched over eventually but it doesn't mean it will be this year. It could be 3 or 4 years time, if a change of circumstances doesn't prompt a move.

Not sure where you got that £20 a month saving from. Once people start moving across there's a transitional support protection in place that will make sure we aren't any worse off.

Believe it or not, not everyone is worse off when they claim UC. IF you're claiming ESA in the support group and you don't claim the SDP then UC LCWRA actually pays more money than ESA Income Related.
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    edited January 2020
    Hello @givingup   Please can I suggest and implore that you look at any of the links I provided for you.

These organisations have in house benefit advisor have floating support and much more as I have stated.

Used them for all my mental health issues and problems.

One point you have CAB saying one thing confusing you.

Add and apply to these any one the first one.  Richmond fellowship.

Absolutely the best one of the organisations I use to help me.

Even intervened in constant problems with DWP and benefits.

Lots of other advice, guidance and certain health, diet, nutritional advice.

Other one.  If you have skills, talents, abilities always considered looked at to co operate with staff have a say in how the branches and organisations are run.

Might consider you for employment working for them, some do.  Staff like yourself have mental health issues.

Also one other final one might look at every thing they usually do. Home housing not happy see how they help you.

Have disability illness see and sign posting you to relevant support and organisations.

All these charities do this .

Mentioned struggling and coloration between mental health and Universal credit .  Will help you with any thing like this or consider other options.

One other just because have CAB advisors giving you not a lot of reassurance, you have a choice.

Stay or find other supports lots of the other links have welfare advisors.

Remember with anything your doing in life if its not working or not fitting seek help and advice else where.

I have to share this if you do apply to any of the links suggested they will attend any medical, welfare or health professional meeting.

Another voice in the room and you have to believe me. I had a feisty lady support worker.

CAB did that misinformation to me and she was there would be not very happy.  Would actually say or even add something has done .

Jobcentre attended when signing on and other training centres be a supportive, guiding light we all need those.

If you do wish not  to be walked over and we all been there.

Same lady in an assessment . Assessor says why do I need a support worker does not look mentally ill to me.

Nothing like a support worker to say her views .

Got the required positive outcome, think added report helped. Plus the speaking before the assessment.

This what they do for you. If you are helping yourself they will help you.

Use to text me suggesting courses things of interest. Got a lot of qualifications though them.

RETHINK had a problem with an outdated old fashioned medical professional. Making under current not very pleasant remarks.

RETHINK stepped in a moment, helped enormously.  Now the end result no problems.

Just a small taste and glimmer what these charities do.

Small steps always but you find if contact any of them, a lot of others like yourself.

Supportive, all there for you .

As are the other ones. Salvation Army has a lot of services and do help those in a crisis. So does The Red Cross.

Others are to do with benefits and welfare, worth looking at a food banks.

I can help there with any thing food Budget cheap eats must add had been there with no money many times.

Recipes have a lot cost nothing.  On website here right now have to scroll around, on Coffee Lounge.

Please if you wish to ask any questions, please do.

Please take care.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • Joanne_Alumni
    Joanne_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 188 Pioneering
    @givingup

A question was raised in parliament about the managed migration pilot on 27th January. The reply was that so far only 80 people have been "invited" to apply and 13 have actually been moved onto UC!
    I suspect that the pilot will be extended.
    If not, it will be the end of 2020 at the earliest before the full managed migration starts.
    The important thing to remember is that unless you have a change of circumstances that means you have to move to UC, wait for the official "invitation" letter. 
    If you don't then you can be regarded to have naturally migrated and you will not get the transitional protection! 

Joanne 
    Scope
  • [Deleted User]
    edited January 2020
    Thank you both for your help. I'm waiting for the letter one day for U/C until then I won't be moving over myself!
    Just seen on the news some poor bloke in Nottingham has been found dead by bailiffs at his home , he weighed just over 4 stone!!! A tragedy that so easily could of been avoided!
  • Leighann111
    Leighann111 Community member Posts: 12 Connected
    I’m on UC, and in all honesty I cannot fault it! Yes you have a period of time to wait, however you can get a payment advance to help with daily living. They have always dealt with me in a friendly and professional manner. In fact they have been great (this is just my opinion though) 
  • Joanne_Alumni
    Joanne_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 188 Pioneering
    Hi Leighann111,
    thank you so much for your message!
    It's lovely to hear something positive amongst all the negativity. :smile:
    Joanne 
    Scope
  • [Deleted User]
    edited February 2020
    [removed by moderator]
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    I fully appreciate your frustration @givingup and we know that not everyone has a positive experience. However, please do remember to be respectful towards all members.

@Joanne_Scope is a Scope employee and does not work for DWP, she is here to support people.

Online forums will obviously be full of the negative stories, yet it is only fair to acknowledge positive stories and give a balanced view for people who are going through the process.

If you have any further complains then please email the community on community@scope.org.uk 
    Scope

• poppy123456
    UC certainly isn't perfect and there's a lot that could be changed. It doesn't work for everyone but some people are better of on UC than they were on the old benefits. For those in the Support Group for ESA without the SDP added they are better off on UC with LCWRA element added, regardless of there being no disability premiums on UV. The problem with some people is that they forget that the old legacy benefits were weekly, paid fortnightly but UC is paid monthly. If you do the sums correctly, you'll see for yourself that this is actually true. Of course those claiming SDP are unable to claim UC until at least January 2021 so it doesn't affect them.

The housing element of UC is alot more generous regarding non dependent deductions too compared with housing benefit.
This discussion has been closed.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.