Tribunal. Was it done within the guidelines? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Tribunal. Was it done within the guidelines?

Options
Somebodyelse
Somebodyelse Community member Posts: 8 Listener
Hi, 
it’s taken me a very long time to get over a really bad experience I had during my PIP tribunal in October. It took a while to get to the tribunal stage, 3 years in fact. My mandatory was lost by the DWP and I had several cancellations by CAPITA, some as late as an hour before my appointment. 
This tribunal was my second, the first was adjourned as I was told I needed more evidence. While waiting for my first tribunal, my husband, who’s my carer, and I waited in the foyer of the courthouse. A clerk approached and told me there would be a fire drill that day, if it happened during my appointment would I be able to manage the one flight of stairs as the lift would not be allowed use. I had waited since 2017 and weighed up the averages I would have to wait many more months if I kicked up a fuss. I told her I’d take my chance. Thankfully there wasn’t a fire drill while I was in the building. 
Fast forward to October and my second tribunal. We are in the foyer and a clerk approaches, telling me they are having a fire drill.... you know the rest. 
During my tribunal i am asked by the doctor  very early on if I can use stairs. I can but it is a rare event and only with help. He quickly draws my attention to the question the clerk asked at my arrival. No matter how much I tried to explain that a burning building was extreme circumstances he wouldn’t allow me to finish my sentence. In the end I had to ask  the doctor if he had both legs broken and it was the difference between burning alive and dragging himself  down a flight of stairs what would he do. He obviously wouldn’t answer but asked why I received my prescriptions fortnightly, was it because I couldn’t be trusted to take the recommended dose. I asked him what he meant and he ignored my question. 
I felt I was being cross examined. There were some pretty awful moments when my husband tried to prompt  me as my memory is impaired. The doctor, wouldn’t allow him to speak at all. Even when I was giving fresh evidence that hadn’t been received by the panel. 
I decided I wasn’t being treated fairly. I asked why on two separate appointments was I informed of a ‘potential’ fire drill where the lifts wouldn’t be in use and why was a disability tribunal court on a first floor. The panel refused to answer my questions. 
My tribunal was adjourned. I am not going mad, on that day I knew from the moment the clerk mentioned another fire drill I knew something wasn’t right. 
It is too much of a coincidence? I’d like to find out if this has happened to anyone else or anything similar. 

Comments

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,618 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    It does seem shall we say "bait suspect" Do I understand correctly that you haven't yet got a decision on your appeal? I think in your position i would be tempted to put in a complaint but i'm not sure what it would achieve?
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,000 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi,

I think it's just a coincidence to be honest. What was the reason for it being adjourned again?

As for your husband not being able to speak for you then this is correct because the panel will want you to tell them in your own words how your conditions affect you. If he was your appointee then he would be able to answer them on your behalf. They have been known to ask the person that's with the claimant if there's anything they want to add at the end but this doesn't always happen.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Somebodyelse
    Somebodyelse Community member Posts: 8 Listener
    Options
    @Username_removed
    Thank you for replying to my post. I’m sorry it’s taken me a while to read it but I haven’t been well. 
    I will make inquiries into all the points you have highlighted, especially regarding the fire drill. 
    The point made during my tribunal by the health professional regarding medication was most definitely meant the way it was supposed to. You see the medication he was referring to are opioids. He laughed sarcastically when he asked if the reason I got the meds fortnightly was because I couldn’t be trusted. 
    He was also told my husband was my carer and needed to prompt me before we began. 
    I have never abused my medication, using controlled drugs for over 20 years. 
    The fact this idiot has made this assumption has knocked what little confidence I have left. 
    I am used to doctors that have all the bedside manners of crippin but this guy was way off. 
    I have decided to complain to the court. The information you have given me will be of great help. 
    Thank You again for all your help. 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.