Post-herpetic neuralgia. — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Post-herpetic neuralgia.

lorenzo
lorenzo Community member Posts: 2 Listener
How I wish I never learned the meaning of post-herpetic neuralgia.
Over the past 4 years, I've spent a bundle on:  acupuncture, Gamma Knife, weed. I've come to rely on Gabapentin and Aspercreme for the pain centered over left eye. The relief is minimal.  I'm investigating the possibility of Botox injections in left temple, and hoping my insurance will help with the cost.      

Comments

• jadealyssa
    jadealyssa Community member Posts: 63 Courageous
    Hi @lorenzo
    Welcome.to the community. Sorry to hear about your daily struggles and I hope that you can find a way to relieve you of your pain.
    I hear the botox injections work wonders. As a mother to a cerebral palsy sufferer they have previously offered me these injections to help my son be able to have more movement in his legs. although I have not yet tried this treatment for him I hear great things about it. Hopefully you can receive this treatment also
    Anything I can help you with please ask and I will try my best.
    Best wishes 
    Jade ?
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @lorenzo    Pleased to meet you.

Thank you for joining and sharing.

I am sorry to hear your in a lot of pain.  

I am one of the team of Community Champions also.

Have qualifications, diet and nutritional . Understand had shingles myself this being the dormant Zoster virus that cause Chickenpox and the symptoms related.

This being the body has a dormant virus then we need to look at foods and ingredients that maintain the body's systems.

Antibacterial foods and those that keep systems of the body protected.

Also this is a painful type to have and can reoccur a lot of times due to stress.

I would always with any thing suggested consult your GP discuss this, also may I add these will help and maintain your well being.

There are herbal remedies and other solutions many involve drugs..

Please if I can suggest looking at your diet and nutrition.

Please consider the following to be included in your diet.

If you not already.

Foods that are dairy produce Yoghurt natural Greek, with added culture.  I use this every day. Not Greek Style .  The real thing helps body maintain bacteria and virus in the systems.

Milk another one whole milk, contains Tryptophan which helps.

Other sources are.  Seafood those frozen cooked Prawns, Seafood Mix, 

Fish, Salmon, Trout, Mackerel all good sources of Omega three.  Fatty acids.

Include Olive oils Walnuts, Seeds you can buy mixed bags, has Flaxseeds, Pumpkin, so on all useful to add to cereal.

One other unsalted organic Peanut Butter.  

Bananas other fruit Citrus,  Satsumas, Oranges, Clementine's, Mandarins.

Cherries and berries .  Blueberries and Blackberries . Buy these frozen easy to use.

Apricots, Avocados, Papaya. 

Antioxidants foods Tomatoes, Peppers.  

Lean meat Chicken Turkey. 

All these fight and reduce inflammation and any infections.

Please if I can add with anything like this foods to avoid are the following.

Alcohol, caffeine in tea, coffee, cola and chocolate.

Cakes, biscuits sugary sweet  and any foods deemed fatty . Bacon, Sausages, so on.

I would like to point out .  Please be careful with herbal remedies and anything like this.

I have an interest in herbal medicine and also do know there are products out there.

In my opinion please do your research, find out ask questions.

I have heard of various spices Turmeric being one a natural one to reduce inflammation, helps body fight infections, antibacterial.

Be aware all times small amounts and be aware too much can be harmful.

Again consult your GP.

Please if you need to ask me anything happy to answer. I am not a trained medical professional . Just a member of the community who has a health history that involves looking at my diet and nutrition.

Obtaining qualifications, knowledge and experience to help himself and advise others if I can do so.

With in our rules as a member of the forum.

Please take care.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @lorenzo

Good Morning & Welcome it’s great to meet you today.

I am another Community Champion at Scope.

I used to work at a rehab centre where I used to be treated myself.

They used to use “Botox IV” for patients who had problems with movement in there Joints.

I did ask if this would helpful l with my
    “24/7 Chronic Pain”

The Doctor did say that they only used it for the patients to help them with their “joint movements”

Then I did my own “investigations” which led me to using ”Morphine IV” instead of “Botox IV” for my “24/7 Pain”

Using “Morphine Orally” was not an option for me to date so having it done by “IV” looked very “interesting”

Getting“FUNDING”
    from the “NHS” which had already been very very “problematic”

I had been “Refused” “many many” times.

“Deep Brain Stimulation” was the only chance in treating my “24/7 Pain”

“But No Funding”

Dispite being told by many many by “NHS Consultants” that it’s my next & last “Medical Intervention”
    available.

“But No Funding”

Please please keep pushing as everyone reacts differently to any “Medical Interventions”

Please please let me know if there’s anything that I can help you with????

@steve51
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @lorenzo -Welcome to the community from me too. I'm sorry to read you're in so much pain with post-herpetic neuralgia, & different treatments, etc. have been unhelpful in the main.
    There's some information on a NHS website, which may throw up some ideas to discuss with your GP. See: https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/post-herpetic-neuralgia/treatment/
    I do hope you find something that works, & that your GP may be helpful.

• Ails
    Ails Community member Posts: 2,256 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @lorenzo and welcome to the Community.  It is nice to meet you and thank you for sharing with us.  I'm really sorry to hear about your struggles with pain and can imagine this must be very stressful for you.  I hope that the Botox injections can provide you with some much needed relief.  Please keep in touch and let us know how you are getting on.  Meantime, if there is anything further we can help/support you with then please just let us know.  All the best.  :smile:
    Winner of the Scope New Volunteer Award 2019.   :)
  • lorenzo
    lorenzo Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    One of the suggested procedures I uncovered for damaged trigeminal relief, would require that Teflon be inserted by an incision through one's temple to separate nerve fibers. The article warns that it's unpredictable when the Teflon might have to be replaced. Can you imagine the cost of the procedure.  Ouch! 

Brightness