TV Licence scam — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

TV Licence scam

CockneyRebel
CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
Please be aware that there is a TV licence scam doing the rounds. if you get your licence on line a scam email is being sent out. it may say that your payment hasnt gone through and if you do not pay now you could be fined. the email looks legitimate so always check before you make any payment.

PS. sorry I have not been around lately but due to many health issuses with my wife and contracting a vicious bout of Shingles myself at Christmas it is very difficult at the moment. Hopefully I will be back on form soon

best wishes to all

CR
Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste

Comments

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,521 Disability Gamechanger
    Thanks for the heads up, hope you and your OH are soon feeling better
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,352 Disability Gamechanger
    @CockneyRebel thanks for that! Sorry to hear that you and your wife's health issues and i hope you're both feeling better soon!
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,368 Disability Gamechanger
    There seems to be a lot of these scams going around at the moment.

My favourite was when the person who cares for me got a call saying something like “your BT internet has been compromised” and they replied that’s amazing, we don’t even have BT internet. The scammer on the other end then put the phone down on them.
  • pollyanna1052
    pollyanna1052 Community member Posts: 2,032 Disability Gamechanger
    I have had a few emails regarding this.

Hubby ignores them and tells me to and then check their spelling.......they spell license......should be licence!

Cockney Rebel....best wishes for a good recovery to you and your OH. xx
  • 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,368 Disability Gamechanger
    Pollyanna, the e-mail scammers use bad grammar on purpose. The “Nigerian prince” e-mail is a good example. There is some quite clever but cruel logic behind it. 

The scammers focus on the most vulnerable targets so the reason they do use bad grammar is to weed out people who wouldn’t fall for the scam so they can focus on the easier targets. People who see that the grammar is poor are likely intelligent enough not to fall for the scam anyway so they just ignore the e-mail. Those remaining who don’t realise the grammar is poor will likely be less intelligent and so easier targets for the scammers.

Like I said they are actually being very crafty.
  • Bettahm
    Bettahm Community member Posts: 1,439 Disability Gamechanger
    I took an online quiz over Christmas on what appeared to be an American site. Didnt get a brilliant score but they said I could have a certificate for 1.50 So I paid for it. Then my bank texted me last month, some company in Lithuania had tried to take 79.99 out of my account. At first i thought the text was a scam so i rang the bank. They thought it was odd when this company tried to take the money as they know my regular payments. While I was on the phone the lady checked the company's website. Actually not a scam but in the small print there, when I paid the 1.50 I had agreed to pay them 79.99 a month to take unlimited quizzes! So a con I would say. The bank stopped it all. Glad they're so on the ball for these sort of things.
  • Ails
    Ails Community member Posts: 2,256 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @CockneyRebel, thanks for highlighting this.  I too got a couple of these tv licence scam emails a few months ago and they do really look like the the legitimate tv licence website emails.  I contacted the tv licence people after receiving them to report it as they are taking a note of these emails and then deleted them.  Terrible that these kinds of emails seem more and more common these days.

Sorry to hear you and your wife have been unwell lately.  I hope you both feel better soon.  All the best.  :smile:
    Winner of the Scope New Volunteer Award 2019.   :)

Brightness