Slow Cooker Heaven — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Slow Cooker Heaven

Bettahm
Bettahm Community member Posts: 1,439 Disability Gamechanger
I chopped up my veg this morning, chucked it in the slow cooker, threw a couple of sausages on top... then realized I hadn't any sauce  :/
Thought I would end up throwing it all away, then had the brilliant idea to root thru the cupboards. I found a jar of tomato and mushroom bolognese sauce from the local food bank gathering dust in the back of the cupboard. So i thought, put that in the pot. Which i did, and stirred it around a bit, added a drop of water as it looked thick... Put it on, see what happens.
Best casserole ever! Lovely thick gravy, tasted like nothing on Earth (in a positive way - ambrosia, food of the gods) and best of all, i got to soak up all that chunky gravy with a bit of bread at the end!
My cookery tip of the month! Casserole Bolognese!

Comments

• Ails
    Ails Community member Posts: 2,256 Disability Gamechanger
    That sounds fab, @Franstrahan!  Glad you enjoyed it and it does sound yummy!  It just shows you that you can put a nice meal together with odds and ends you find in the cupboard!  :smile:
    Winner of the Scope New Volunteer Award 2019.   :)
  • Bettahm
    @Ails
    I hate cooking and lived on microwave ready meals and junk food till several people on the Scope forum told me how easy a slow cooker is. Now having fresh veg regularly for the first time in almost 15 years. I <3 my slow cooker! Chop it up, chuck it in  :)
  • LouiseH
    LouiseH Community member Posts: 96 Courageous
    @Franstrahan
    I love slow cooker meals. I've got a multi cooker too which has a slow cook function and quicker options too. I do all sorts in it, spaghetti bolognaise, the base for shepherd's pie, then add the potatoes and put it in the oven to finish. I do curry's in it, anything that means I don't have to stand there and cook ?
    Louise Hesketh
    Community Champion
  • Bettahm
    @LouiseH
    I might try spaghetti bolognese in it then. That would be a quick and easy one. Food for thought  :)
  • Ails
    Glad you enjoy your slow cooker @Franstrahan.  I don't have one myself, but do enjoy cooking.  When I was at uni I hated cooking and lived off ready meals and ate out a lot, but have tried cooking myself in the past few years.  Find it relaxing, but realise it is not for everyone.  A slow cooker does sound like a really good and easy way to enjoy nice meals so may invest in one at some point.  I think my mum has one somewhere in a cupboard that she used to use so may look it out to see if it still works.  Happy cooking!  :smile:
  • Bettahm
    @Ails
    It seems I'm still discovering just how versatile they are. Did my entire Christmas dinner in it (except chestnuts). Didnt realise I could put the sprouts in there too, someone on this forum told me. Hadn't had them for years, so I'm making up for lost time now  :) yes do get one, you wont regret it. I'd recommend them now to anyone, whether you love or hate cooking.
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    edited February 2020
    Hello @Franstrahan   Want to make Bolognese need Beef or Pork or use good quality Sausages.

Out of skins with any good jar sauce add in mushrooms. 

Got a recipe on the forum some where.

I wanted to add next step if you interested buy these packets of spice herb mixes add to meals, if you wish to.

Companies like Colman's, Maggi Schwartz do a range of spice herb slow cooker mixes.

Option another one buy small jars of the following.  For a beginner, to add to meat and vegetable dishes.

Jar of Paprika, Garlic Powder, Dried Herbs Oregano, Parsley and Thyme.

With those add Black Pepper and touch of Salt.

Basic one all purpose seasoning for everything.

Use a freezer bag add in half teaspoon or to your taste each one . Add meat your choice seal and coat then to Slow Cooker.

Your can add Lemon Juice a touch buy a bottle.  

Worcester sauce, other condiments to use Tomato Ketchup small amount.

These all enhance tastes, umami savoury tang and then after that

Tomato Puree, Cornflower to thicken with touch of water and knob of butter in a jug mix.

Use one teaspoon of Cornflour  to two parts of water.

Other things to look Jars of Roasted Red Peppers. Already roasted snip in and gives sauces another dimension.

Use Tin Potatoes, Peas, Carrots, Mushrooms. In France and Spain use a lot of good quality tinned vegetables.

In Italy used Anti Pasti jars for Ragus, Pasta most supermarket sell them, Lidl Aldi excellent range.

These are oven roasted vegetables in Olive Oil.  Aubergines, Courgettes, Mushrooms Peppers all cooked drain and ready to use.

Buy those spices dried herbs then experiment. Buy one a month something else.

Fennel seeds go great with Chicken or Pork or Sausages with that Italian mix add in Ground Coriander lemon scented spice.

Or Cinnamon, just some ideas.

Well done chef.  You could ask Staff or look on line for any ideas or ask me.

Tonight doing Chicken Ragu with Mushroom and Peppers.

Any sauce left over cool this down, blitz it up use it with Pasta.

One tip buy a blender any thing you can afford, then any left over sauce cool down.  Add to a bowl in a cold sink, to fridge.

To an oiled plastic tub.

Been using that for stock, soup another sauce, tumble downs saves your money time, next time.

Please ask me anything.

Carry on Cooking .

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • Ails
    Thanks for the tip, @Franstrahan.  Will let you know if I get a slow cooker.  Glad you enjoyed your Christmas Dinner in it.  Sounds great!  :smile:
  • Bettahm
    @thespiceman
    Thank you, I know you love your cooking!! I will try a spag bol at some point though, havent had one for years.
  • thespiceman
    Hello @Ails my friend look on AMAZON website.

Bought Russell Hobbs small one 1.5 litre for two people.

Have used it for Chicken thighs and small cuts of meat.

Brilliant this one has a warm function quick easy and if you think maybe not cooked will be.

If wish to use that to just keep it warm.

Put this on around 3pm, to 7pm cooked meal.

Worth the money and guess what can do the following.

1.  Porridge over night oats, make your Porridge how you like it leave it over night on low be fine , morning give it a stir.

Put this on around before bedtime say 10 pm fine and works wonders.

Add in diced Apples or frozen fruit at the end with Greek Yoghurt and honey, Cinnamon. wow amazing.  

2.  Soup buy those ready made diced vegetables . Soup mixes. TESCO do root veggie mix with Parsley instant Minestrone.
    Other Leek Potatoes, Butternut Squash Sweet Potatoes.

Each supermarket does different ones.

3.  Very much found these lately Chef base mix Sol Frito of Carrot, Onion, Celery all diced for you . Great saver for Ragu and Pasta buy a lot freeze with Passata Italian herbs in to tin foil container on line.

Buy a big pack of small ones with lids. 

4. Med mix with Cherry tomatoes, Courgettes, Aubergines and herbs with Peppers.

5.  Casserole Mix with sliced Carrots, Leeks Onions and Potatoes add in Celery makes a instant Ragu sauce.

6.  These are all fresh buys.  You can cook and any left over  in to soup add to a blender allow to cool down first..  Freeze.

7.  Look on the websites supermarket ones. Does this most Sundays .

Food ideas and solutions make notes.

8. Lots of those veggies mixes already to go.

9.  B.B.C have produced under their Good Food logo great books.

Included are Slow Cooker ones lots of ideas and tips, tricks.

Hope that helps you my friend.

Wishing you well from  your no1 fan, wrap up warm heard Scotland getting more snow.

Please take care love you.

Talk to you soon in my prayers and thoughts.

Your Italian Stallion friend the one and only

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    Recipes
  • thespiceman
    Hello @Franstrahan   You can go into some supermarkets have a Spaghetti Bolognese packet to add water then to slow cooker.

Understand you could use with Bolognese any short shapes, Penne or Rigatoni or Fusilli , ask at the stores.

Or ask myself anything.

I forget to add I do break the rules some times.

Bolognese is a stew or a Ragu Tomato Based so use in stead of Pasta, tin Potatoes drained or Lentils or Beans in a bowl.

Use a spoon and have a portion, better next day and use the left over you like this.

With instant Mash Potato , Smash or for Breakfast a portion with Tinned Spaghetti Hoops, why not.

In Italy any left over Bolognese add tinned Pulses, use Haricot or Cannellini Beans with couple of Eggs.

Some ideas.

Have fun chef .

@thespiceman
    Community Champion
    Recipes
  • Ails
    Thanks for the tips and info, @thespiceman.  Will shop around and have a look on Amazon for a slow cooker.  Great advice and culinary tips from the great Community Chef, so thank you!  Having spag bol ourselves today cooked by hubby.  Smells nice!  Enjoy your own lovely food - sounds yummy!  Have a lovely evening, my great friend.  Yes, snow is on its way again as just seen the weather forecast, North of Scotland has it at the moment and heading our way soon.  So well prepared.  Speak to you soon and take care.  :smile:
  • Bettahm
    @thespiceman
    I think I'll definitely try a spaghetti bolognese soon. Have plenty of pasta as they give a packet every time at the food bank, have loads, all shapes and sizes. And found another jar of sauce, so only need the meat. Or quorn maybe. Havent had it in years so one to look forward to.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    This sounds super tasty @Franstrahan!! 
    Scope

• Bettahm
    @Chloe_Scope
    The mistake one was the best yet!

The spag bol I've still to try. Didnt realize you could do pasta in the slow cooker.

Brightness