Housing problems — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Housing problems

kami24
kami24 Community member Posts: 402 Pioneering
Hi I have mental health issues and feel paranoid alot due to my issues and autism too. However I currently rent a flat privately and I am very unhappy here as the weird druggie man below never goes out anywhere and coughs constantly loudly and is banging around and I need a bungalow or house but will the council help me rent a place with no one above or below me?? I have been advised to get a note from the doctor and give this to the council for them to try to consider it for me. I have never had council housing before and if I find a one bed house private then I would obviously go for that. 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,333 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

Most councils/housing associations have a minimum age for those wanting bungalows and it's mostly 55 and above because there's very few of them available.

A Dr's letters doesn't always help when wanting a property either unfortunately. You may have no option but to go down the private rental route and even that isn't easy when you're claiming benefits because most landlords and agency won't accept those that claim benefits.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • kami24
    if i get an eviction note from my nice landlord there is probably more of a chance 
  • poppy123456
    Unfortunately, it doesn't usually work like that.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,519 Disability Gamechanger
    The solution might be to look for other more suitable private rentals
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• poppy123456
    woodbine said:
    The solution might be to look for other more suitable private rentals

Totally agree with this. A landlord can't just evict a tenant because there's a process they have to go through first and this can take many many months.
  • jadealyssa
    jadealyssa Community member Posts: 63 Courageous
    @kami24
    Agree with @poppy123456 and @woodbine. Private rented may be your best option.
    However there is  o harm trying council. I dont believe you will be able to get a bungalow as poppy mentioned due to them usually being age restricted.
    However you could apply to the council on medical grounds and they usually send out a medical assessment form which you are to get filled in by your doctor and would help if you could also get a covering letter to back up the form. Not saying this will definitely work but it's worth a go. Also if you have any support worked etc. They may be able to help with the application 
    Hope you can resolve your current situation soon
    Best wishes 
  • kami24
    Thanks for the help 
  • pollyanna1052
    pollyanna1052 Community member Posts: 2,032 Disability Gamechanger
    At one time, you were given points for health issues...is this no longer in use?
  • kami24
    Not sure but I can't take noise of talking or laughing etc underneath where I live or above me as I think they are laughing at me as I have paranoia anyway about people laughing in all places unless it's really distant noise 
  • Kev2020
    Kev2020 Community member Posts: 38 Connected
    Hi, hope you are coping ok.
    Anyone can register for a council property and when you apply you will be assessed and but in a band 
    1234 or ABCD 
    1/A being in high housing need 4/D  Low or no need

It's worth registering and you can rent privately whilst on the waiting list.
    How long you are on the list depends on your where you want to live and what band you are in 
    I was in a hostel for 6 years then put into band B and housed after being on the waiting list for 6 months 
    Let us know how you get on .

Kev
  • kami24
    I am registered from 3 years back and I am still in their system. 
  • kami24
    I have been renting private for 6 years now read my above post
  • Kev2020
    Hi sorry I missed they bit ;

Are they aware of your additional needs ? It may be worth asking for a meeting with the housing team.
  • kami24
    Yeah i will ask as I cannot live above or below people especially men or certain other people as they make me feel more anxious
  • Kev2020
    Kami
    Its useful to bring a diary of events from the last few months to give the team an idea of your situation.
    Also ask them for a written reply to the outcomes of the meeting.
    Let us know how you get on.
  • kami24
    Thanks for this advice I will write down how it's affected me 

Brightness