Motability tracker — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Motability tracker

dandan1980
dandan1980 Community member Posts: 4 Listener
Hi guys, just after a little advice. We have just put in a application for our first motability car for my son who suffers from numerous health and mental conditions. After my son reading into Motability terms/conditions etc he has read that they sometimes fit tracking devices on vehicles. Obviously this is no issue whatsoever to me nor his other named driver,although as he also suffers from paranoid schizophrenia he know believes they will be monitoring and watching he’s every move! (I’m sure this is not the case not the reasoning) I have a friend who currently  has a motability vehicle and she has never heard of this before. Can anybody shed some light on this? Will we be made aware of this happening before hand? If so, at what point of the ordering process will thiS  be discussed. 
Thanks. 

Comments

• Topkitten
    Topkitten Community member Posts: 1,285 Pioneering
    Many modern vehicles can be tracked through internet and telephone connections, it's just the way life is now. As Motability cars are always new it is more likely to be traceable than older vehicles. Sooner or later being tracked through vehicles, phones and computers (PC's and consoles) will simply be the same for everyone. With the considerable number of ANPR cameras at the roadside and in police vehicles it will make little difference anyway.

TK
    "I'm on the wrong side of heaven and the righteous side of hell" - from Wrong side of heaven by Five Finger Death Punch.
  • dandan1980
    Thanks for taking the time out to reply buddy.. I totally understand you. My son on the other hand is convinced he doesn’t want to go ahead with the order if this is the case. Which is why I was wondering if they discuss this with you from initial order as we don’t want to be paying out AP and waiting the 3/4 month delivery time for this problem to arise later on in the application process. Thanks again! 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,357 Disability Gamechanger
    HI and welcome,

They would only do this in the most extreme circumstances, for example, if the motability customer lives in a care home and they suspect the car is being misused. From 630,000 customer they have fitted less than 5% of the vehicles with tracking devices.

Your son has nothing to worry about and they most certainly wouldn't fit one to every car. I'm on my 2nd mobility car and i've not had one fitted.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • dandan1980
    HI and welcome,

They would only do this in the most extreme circumstances, for example, if the motability customer lives in a care home and they suspect the car is being misused. From 630,000 customer they have fitted less than 5% of the vehicles with tracking devices.

Your son has nothing to worry about and they most certainly wouldn't fit one to every car. I'm on my 2nd mobility car and i've not had one fitted.

Thanks so much for your info. I have read through the link u shared and tried explaining this too him. Hopefully we will find out one way or the other, sooner rather than later. 
    Thank you. 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,357 Disability Gamechanger
    No problem. It's very very unlikely that a tracker will be added at any point unless they think there's some kind of misuse.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • dandan1980
    No problem. It's very very unlikely that a tracker will be added at any point unless they think there's some kind of misuse.
    Yes I thought that would be the case. I was more concerned about the Advanced payment we have paid to dealer and then awaiting delivery of car which is estimated around 3-4 months. For this matter to arise at a later date. I assume they would of made us aware of this happening during the application/validity check process, rather than after The application has  been approved and car has been ordered. Thanks again. 

Brightness