Functional Nuerological Disorder/anxiety/Long QT heart condition - long term sick - options?? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Functional Nuerological Disorder/anxiety/Long QT heart condition - long term sick - options??

Options
Andyroo66
Andyroo66 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
Hello
I've not worked for 12 months due to multiple health problems. I was in proffesional work and could go back to it if my health returns but it would have to be fairly soon as employers will no doubt ask about the reasons for my long absence.
I was told to stop a medication due to Long QT syndrome (heart abnormality) but it was really helping my FND (neurological disorder) and anxiety and I had a major relapse. The alternative medication Im on is a basic antidepressant and it doesnt help with the FND So I'm stuck with a big decision either stay long term sick or go back on the original medication and take the heart risk - I've applied for PIP and the DWP didnt seem to understand my condition , I'm currently appealing and also applying for Universal Credit/ESA.
Its a nightmare as my whole life has been unravelled by the Long QT diagnosis which on it's own might be manageable but combined with the FND its problematic as treatment to better one condition worsens the other and vice versa.

Comments

• pollyanna1052
    pollyanna1052 Community member Posts: 2,032 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi Andy, well going by my own experience of being unable to work and being on long term sick......I went for ill health retirement. I worked for the local council and they offered a good package.

DWP rarely understand our chronic conditions. They are more concerned with how a condition affects us, rather than a diagnosis.

I hope you applied this to your PIP application. Equipment and help from another person will give you more points.

I know how it feels to have your life unravel by disability. 20 years on, I mourn for the old me.

If you decide/feel  you cannot return to work, continue sending sick notes and let your firm finish you...NOT the other way around.

Regarding those meds....if there is a risk of a heart attack....I wouldnt take them.

Best wishes for whatever happens. xx

• Andyroo66
    Andyroo66 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    Thanks polyanna, I finished work, I had to take a settlement from work, officially finsihed 6 months ago.I could have done a better job on my PIP application, I'm concered that If I go back to work as I am I could potentially relapse as I feel no way well enough
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Andyroo66 and a warm welcome to the community!

Sorry you are appealing PIP. The benefit looks at the impact your disability or condition has on your life, rather than what diagnosis you have. 

Is there anything we can do to help?
    Scope

• deb74
    deb74 Community member Posts: 814 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi @Andyroo66. Like Pollyanna said if the medication is affecting your heart you need to stop taking it! I have got a heart condition and would never take any medication that could potentially kill me! As for the pip you need to throw all you can at the DWP and always describe what you are like on your worst days! I got the citizens advise to  help me fill in my pip form.

Brightness